The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227611 - 07/11/11 02:55 AM Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The Spark-Lite is advertised to start 1,000 fires. Adventure Medical Kits' new SOL Fire Lite™ is advertised to start 5,000 fires. Can this be verified? Also, is there anything about the Fire Lite I need to know?

Jeanette Isabelle

#227612 - 07/11/11 03:28 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I wouldn't be surprised if they use the exact same flint. I have over half a dozen Spark-Lites and find them to work well. Can't say anything about the SOL, never actually tried one. TAD makes a brass one that's also really nice. It doesn't really work any better but it's much more robust, plus you can change flints when they wear out. The only downsides are the price (about $28) and the fact that it's round, so it tends to want to twist in your grip.

#227613 - 07/11/11 03:44 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Phaedrus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The SOL seems like it was designed specifically to clip into their "Origin" tool. Otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if they are the same internally. Easiest way to tell would be to buy one of each and crack 'em open.

I wonder if Doug would know, being he likely has some connection with AMK, since they sell his kits?

#227620 - 07/11/11 02:21 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I am less worried about the 999 or 499 other fires they start, but I am more worried about the one fire they need to start that one time..

number of strikes matters less to me than reliability.

#227621 - 07/11/11 02:41 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

What is that narrow black line running down the side of the Fire Lite? Perhaps a ferro surface? That would be cool. Or hot. You know what I mean.

#227627 - 07/11/11 03:23 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: ]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
This is just....meh.

Its a mediocre copy that's suited for looks rather then actual thought process for its real use which is packing into survival kits which usually implies everything to be small and compact. Just another way to cash in on other peoples ideas really.

#227632 - 07/11/11 04:19 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Frisket]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Its a mediocre copy... Just another way to cash in on other peoples ideas really.

I dunno, both products are made and marketed by the same company, Adventure Medical Kits (AMK). So while I am inclined to agree that the revised design is less than stellar, I don't think it's a case of one company ripping off another's idea.

AMK took over production and marketing of the original Spark-Lite a long time ago, didn't they?

#227633 - 07/11/11 04:25 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
AMK took over production and marketing of the original Spark-Lite a long time ago, didn't they?

Four Seasons may still make the Spark-Lite.

http://fourseasonssurvival.3dcartstores....ange_p_109.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#227636 - 07/11/11 04:45 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

No.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#227637 - 07/11/11 04:45 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Frisket Offline
Addict

What is that narrow black line running down the side of the Fire Lite? Perhaps a ferro surface? That would be cool. Or hot. You know what I mean.

Looks to me like just a design or rubber insert for grip.

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Four Seasons may still make the Spark-Lite.

http://fourseasonssurvival.3dcartstores....ange_p_109.html

Jeanette Isabelle

My understanding is that AMK provides a Distribution ability for products to retail stores. In other words they take the product put it in a displayable package for shelf's/racks and Distribute them to stores like Dicks sporting goods and such. They do not own the product or make it they simply provide a way to reatch the stores for products that are mainly sold online and shipped in basic unpretty packaging.

Someone correct me if Im wrong on this.

I forgot to mention this doesnt apply to products they actually do produce. It should be easy to differ them from the ones they do not such as The Fox 40 Whistle and Spark lite. If Im not mistaken The PSK is not produced by AMK either just packaged and distributed.

Edited by Frisket (07/11/11 04:50 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 602 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.