Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#216123 - 02/01/11 02:55 AM It is time to check/get flood insurance.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Much of the mid-west, most of the US, has seen record levels of snow and ice. Spring is coming. When it gets to your locality it melts. There are floods pretty much every year. This year ... there will be floods in places that usually don't flood.

This is the time to make doubly sure that you are covered for flooding. There is a time limit and you have to have it a considerable amount of time before any event to be covered.

Double check your location for any history or chance of flooding. Review your coverage. Handle it now and it is pennies on the dollar. Wait too long and you are on your own. Time is not on your side.

Subject suggested by, respectfully stolen from:
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2011/01/the_time_to_buy_flood_insuranc.php

National Flood Insurance Program:
http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

And if it doesn't flood, well ... , you really ought to have flood insurance if there is any chance of flooding. Myself ... I live on a hill of sand that drains like a sieve. Three near misses by hurricanes in two weeks, two solid weeks of constant heavy rain, without so much as a standing puddle.

If your location isn't similarly flood resistant check your flood insurance.

#218429 - 03/05/11 04:21 AM Re: It is time to check/get flood insurance. [Re: Art_in_FL]
duckear Offline
Addict

Flood insurance has to be paid up front for a year and takes effect 30 days after you purchase it.

I just added both earthquake and flood to my house for about $400 per year.

Since I am paying off my house in the next few months, it will be 100% mine and not the bank's; it helps me sleep easier.

wink

#218431 - 03/05/11 04:29 AM Re: It is time to check/get flood insurance. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

All flood insurance is through the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program). If you need it and don't have it, you aren't covered, and all the whining and crying to the provider of your homeowner's policy won't change a thing.

Congratulations on the sole ownership of your home, Art! That is a bigger deal than many will admit... esp those who have refinanced several times to pay off their credit card debt, and now owe more than their house is worth.

Sue

#218442 - 03/05/11 12:50 PM Re: It is time to check/get flood insurance. [Re: Art_in_FL]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Just to say it again -

Homeowners insurance does not cover external water coming into your house. Flooding is never ever never covered under standard homeowners insurance, and no amount of crying, whining, pleading, sniveling will make your insurance company take pity on you. If they do it for one, they will have to do it for all.

You must purchase a seperate policy from "Uncle". All the major insurance carriers are part of a National Flood Insurance Program, means they spread the risk out nationally. Fairly cheap when you consider that you are insuring everything you own.

If you think you may live in a flood plain, get flood insurance. If you are not sure, check the FEMA website as they have flood plain maps.

If you rent, get renter's insurance and renter's flood insurance. This only covers your possessions.

And please get full replacement cost insurance - you'd be surprised to learn how much stuff depreciates. Prime example - computers, 50% the first 6 months, 75% total up to the first year. Over a year old, basically worthless.

#218469 - 03/06/11 12:07 AM Re: It is time to check/get flood insurance. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There was talk of heavy rains, tornadoes, and possible flooding on the news tonight. It may be too late for some in flood prone areas if they didn't get their flood insurance earlier. There is still time for much of the rest of the nation but you are running out of time. Check to make sure you really are covered.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, Herman30), 351 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.