Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207676 - 09/10/10 03:26 PM New AMK PSK?
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptiVILYVWb8&feature=channel

I didn't see it yet on the AMK website..

#207682 - 09/10/10 05:00 PM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's a pretty interesting idea. I'd tinkered with a few concept drawings of a PSK where much of the equipment attached to the outside of the case so that I could utilize the waterproof interior for things that need to stay dry like fire starting supplies or undamaged like AquaPur Tabs. I never had the money to follow through with the designs though.

The main issues I worried about were damage to an externally attached mirror and the thought if I lost it, everything was gone. Regarding the latter, I figured that if you lose just about any PSK, you would probably lose most everything anyway.

Other than that, I think I'd prefer that the whistle and flashlight weren't part of the knife. I want a whistle that I can hang on a lanyard around my neck for quick and easy access. I also have dropped many a knife and flashlights and even lost a Maglite in a river so I'd prefer if those items weren't part of the same package. But that's me. I like to make everything as idiotproof as possible for my own good. laugh

Still, it looks like a pretty nice kit.

#207703 - 09/10/10 07:39 PM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
It looks like they are making a copy of the Sparklite for this kit instead of buying the real thing. I hope they are partnering with Four Season Survival but I bet it is a copy made in China.
They are calling it the "Fire lite" sounds like a copy.

#207727 - 09/11/10 12:36 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It looks somewhat gimicky but I like some of the design elements and it looks like they spent to cash to have it prototyped. The case looks pretty decent, a big cut above the altoids tin types. While you wouldn't want to be your life on its waterproofness, the design does look it would keep your stuff dry. I think they do cut size a bit by having stuck snap into the outside of the case; that cuts down on how thick the inner part has to be. The compass looks pretty decent for that kind of kit and the "fire-lite" looks to be maybe better than the "original." The rubberized body looks like it might be a bit sturdier, but that's just a guess on my part.

On the other hand, the knife looks like a mixed bag. It's probably not super sturdy, although the blade might be a step up from what you normally find in micro-kits, if you find one at all. Unless they really whiff on the heat treat AUS8 is pretty decent steel for a product in that price range. The light is probably next to worthless- I'd rather tuck a small light inside the case, maybe a Photon Freedom that Doug re-designed. Even my $.50 import version would be handier.

I'm curious what they actually cost when they come to market. Not the type of thing I'd usually carry but a product that looks to have been thought about at length.

#207735 - 09/11/10 01:42 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Looks pretty big, not pocketable like altoid version. And if you are going to drop it in your bag might as well get something bigger. But I suppose not everybody wants to bother assembling their own.

#207738 - 09/11/10 03:00 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
sotto Offline
Addict

Sometime try boiling water on a fire in an aluminum foil cup and let me know how it goes. The foil always has leaked badly when I've tried it. This kit also looks much bulkier (heavier?) than a similar metal or fabric pack. I carry much (or most) of that stuff anyway in my pockets, and what I need or want is a small easy-to-carry pack (butt or otherwise) for some food and water.

#207745 - 09/11/10 05:32 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Watched the video.
Sorry, IMO to pricey and to wiz bang, I'll pass.
The original is still the best.

#207784 - 09/11/10 11:09 PM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For the price....

I'll take one of the origional SOLs, in the tiny dry bag, and a Ritter PSP. Combine the best components of both, and add a tiny light, a mni bic, and some water tabs. And maybe use a mini biner to clip a SAK to it.

And... I already did that. Then moved it all but the SAK to another case. grin Even spending $13 bucks for that case, I spent less.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#207842 - 09/13/10 02:05 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Looks like AMK Keeps ripping off Ritter Designs! Look at the blade shape for the knife and tell me that isnt the blade from the MK5!

And yeah They are also ripping of the sparklite with a bigger "mil spec" version which i have no idea how they grade things mil spec so that may be a joke of a item

The compass is out in the open to get smashed if the case is dropped the blade is, While some what coverd, exposed to conditions around you. The whistle is too which can fill with water and freeze into a block of ice if conditions are proper and as far fetched as that sounds its possible specially in freezing marine traveling with spray and such. The Container while rugged looking isn't really protecting anything breakable on the inside so ends up being big and cumbersome.

Overall ill stick to the original PSP and mk5 and select my own hard case (as i already have) if i wanted to use one. Not only is it better it supports this forum and the website if I'm not mistaken so hellz yeah for that fact too!

#207846 - 09/13/10 03:24 AM Re: New AMK PSK? [Re: JIM]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, I decided I'd get a PSK to supplement my other gear. Ultimately it's cheaper to get the kit than to buy the items. Plus, if you purchase the item at Amazon.com and "subcribe" to it you get an additional few bucks off; you determine how often they send you one. So I set it up to have them send me one every six months. End result is the PSK ends up costing $22 with free shipping! You can't miss with a deal like that. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Today at 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.