Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#172932 - 05/08/09 01:48 AM Neil Strauss Emergency
Hookpunch Offline

Neil Strauss

Anyone read this yet? Seems like he went on a mission to learn a bunch of survival skills, including butchering his own livestock...not really a survival manual though/

#172934 - 05/08/09 02:34 AM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: Hookpunch]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

big yawn.

Order a catalog from Paladin Press,Buy the ever popular

FOXFIRE set et al and presto! You have a updated version of

Bradfor Angier's pot pourri survivalism for people to lazy

or self deserving to care about anything beyond American idol

until a meteor destroys everything but

the alarm system on the Beemer daddy and mummy bought for

graduation and I need to be READY.

Hopefully they will look up from texting and drinking latte

from the trendy bookchain ( Author's without Borders) while

walking in the parking lot and make it to 19.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/08/09 02:36 AM)

#172937 - 05/08/09 03:28 AM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: Hookpunch]
LED Offline
Veteran

Read an article about the guy in LA Times a while back. Seems like he took lots of classes and learned lots of stuff (EMT, Ham Radio, etc, etc.) during something like a three year period but I didn't quite understand why. It seemed like he was cramming for the apocalypse final. The only problem is if you don't regularly use and apply that knowledge it tends to fade. At least for me. I don't remembe half the crap I learned in college. Personally I think people would be better off going camping once and a while rather than learning how to "survive snipers" as the book ad says.

#172939 - 05/08/09 05:40 AM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: LED]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have in fact looked the book over.Im sure most here know of a charming book called THE DANGEROUS BOOK FOR BOYS.It isn't really,more of "You'll shoot your eye out kid" delights before we let an entire generation become electronically assimilated like no Borg could dream of.

What Strauss ( has he ever enjoyed a waltz with a redhead?) has in fact authored is, THE DANGEROUS BOOK FOR BOYS WHO DIDN'T GROW UP.)We've all had, or will have the experience of being called a 'survivalist' with vague notions of the Militia Movement and an entire subculture/cottage industry that uses gold bullion or bullet casting lead as the currency of choice to buy colloidal silver.

It's comical, deservedly so except the clowns in ghilly suits at best hurt themselves and at worst others.

This effort belongs on the bargain table with Timothy Treadwell.

#172943 - 05/08/09 10:28 AM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Strauss went through a metamorphosis from a carefree kid to a paranoid survival nut. Then, at the end of the book, he said that the skills he'd picked up were what allowed him to be confident that he could handle whatever came his way, if not physically then mentally. It was somewhat a surprise ending, for me at least, that he turned into what appears to be a mature adult that gives freely of himself using the skills and training that he acquired in preparing for the apocalypse. I found the book entertaining and enjoyed reading it.

#172957 - 05/08/09 03:23 PM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: Grouch]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I never thought he'd be one of my "preparedness" authors, but authoring "The Game" and this one, I might have to start a collection!

#172980 - 05/09/09 03:08 AM Re: Neil Strauss Emergency [Re: ki4buc]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I picked up a copy at Borders earlier today, not expecting much and after reading and skimming quite a bit of it, came away pleasantly surprised.

I read the same article that ran in the L.A. Times and wasn't too impressed but I have to give Mr. Strauss credit, when he writes it himself, he tells a pretty good story.

There are also some interesting comparisons in his account and my own life experiences that made it even more interesting. We're close to the same age, both took up Ham radio pretty late in life, both went to EMT school later in life, have gotten involved in local disaster aid groups, him more so. He also has a much larger budget for indulging his plans then I do. He even took a class on edible plants from a guy I used to work with years ago and with whom I am planning on taking some classes with later this year.

I thought it was gonna be a whoopie, look at me I'm a survivalist now kind of thing but he ends up having a sort of epiphany by the time he's done.

And he tells you how to get out of a pair of zip tie cuffs too...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.