The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#148507 - 09/11/08 07:03 PM Energy Drinks
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Being a big shopper at Costco and Sam's club, I've been a fan of Zip-fizz drink additives and have posted previously about them. I keep some with me at all times, and they have been a great help in my afternoon drudgeries from time to time.

Well, I found this item

http://www.bevology.com/superv.html

and after using one of their other products (energy +), I think I may switch to this one. Sometimes zip-fizz is a bit too strong, but something like this has similar nutrient values, and some different ones, but not so much stimulant. I like their portability too.

#148526 - 09/11/08 09:17 PM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: benjammin]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I recall watching a lecture on dehydration/heatstroke where they suggested a drink with some specific properties (which John spaces at the moment) and specifically listed Gookinaid Hydrolyte as an example. It appears that Hydrolyte has been renamed Vitalyte.

-john

#148558 - 09/12/08 12:55 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: JohnN]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I never got into the whole energy drink thing. When I want caffeine I drink coffee, black. Usually not more than a pot, rarely two, a day. For a little less action, tea. Often green tea. The combination of strong black coffee and black tea together makes a longer lasting stimulant.

I also don't get into sugary or fizzy drinks. Koolaid and soda just don't do anything for me.

Which, I guess, is why energy drinks never interested me much. I might drink a Gatoraide if it is handed to me but plain water and a lick of salt is what I get for myself when I'm heavily dehydrated. A good alternative is water with a little apple cider vinegar and lemon added.

#148571 - 09/12/08 02:01 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: Art_in_FL]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
While marketing behind a lot of the popular "energy drinks" suggest stimulants and "energy" or such, my understanding is that there are a number of things you want for proper re-hydration beyond water and salt which is is supposedly the drive behind the formulation behind drinks like Vitalyte.

My guess is that caffeine and lots of corn syrup which dominate many of these "energy" drinks is counterproductive to both proper hydration as well as long term energy management.

I get the impression that Gatoraide started with proper hydration as its goal, but with less science and over time, dilution of intent with the increase in things like corn syrup.

While I haven't done any real research on the matter, I categorize these into three groups in my mind:

1) Serious minded hydration drinks
2) Mainstream hydration drinks
3) Bogus "energy" drinks

I do think after watching some lectures on the topic that plain water isn't the answer in severe hydration situations, and if you accept that, it all comes down to the relative effectiveness of various solutions and the cost effectiveness of same.

Personally, I like lemonaid (w/sugar, not corn syrup) after working outside in the sun. But I'll put some Vitalyte in the pack when hiking.

YMMV.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/12/08 02:02 AM)

#148576 - 09/12/08 02:35 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: JohnN]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I like normal everyday water. It taste great, it’s what 98% of our bodies are made of it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#148583 - 09/12/08 03:12 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: BobS]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
However, it isn't ALWAYS 98% of what our body needs to be replaced in a situation a sports drink (vs. energy drink) would be appropriate.

I do agree that water is a GREAT drink, in fact (discounting good scotch and beer) I could live the rest of my life drinking nothing more then coffee and water as my day to day drinks. And if you are able to eat appropriately and actually are eating appropriately, water is typically all you need for proper rehydration during periods of intense work. However, this isn't always possible.

I break down sports drinks into 4 categories:

The first category is JUNK!. This category includes all the energy drinks that really just soda with more calories and caffeine, soda and the so called sports drinks that have minimal electrolytes and are basically soda minus the carbonation. Now, these drinks can still serve a purpose... I can testify to the miracle like properties of defizzed Coke during the run leg of an Ironman distance triathlon and while I can't say Red Bull gave me wings, it did help me find my running legs at more then one Ironman.

The Second category are all the low calorie drinks with appropriate electrolytes. These drinks, like NUUN, CamelBak's hydration, PowerBar Electrolytes, and SportsTabs, will provide the user all the hydration and electrolytes they need, but if they want calories they need to look elsewhere. I like to use these drinks for short (under 60-90min, depending on the intensity) work sessions or during LONG LONG work sessions where I want my calories in solid form.

The third category are the all in one drinks that have good calories and electrolytes, but are still mostly hydration drinks. Gatorade endurance (before it was discontinued) was barely in this category but drinks like PowerBar Endurance, Clif Shot Drink, eFuel, and Hammer Nutrition H.E.E.D. (my favorite) will supply the booth the electrolytes and some calories along with hydration for shorter work periods or as a supplement to more complete nutrition in longer work periods.

The forth category are drinks that have the primary purpose of fueling (providing nutrition). The protein and higher calorie counts make these drinks basic especially useful in long work periods where the intensity level is high or liquid nutrition is more convenient then solid nutrition Drinks like Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy or Perpetuem and Accelerade.

Now that is probably WAY more complicated then most people need or want to think about for hydration... and in the end (and my opinion), NUUN is probably the perfect hydration/sports drink for most peoples needs.

Edited by Alan_Romania (03/16/10 05:24 AM)

#148594 - 09/12/08 04:53 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: Alan_Romania]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
... and energy drinks (like Red Bull) might actually kill you!

#148599 - 09/12/08 05:58 AM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: redflare]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Water for me 90% of the time.
Soda rarely, starbucks only because I don't pay, and maybe once or twice a month.

I used to drink Bawls because I like Cream Soda and it taste like that to me. Caffeine has little/no affect on me so it's all "meh" wasted $ to me wink

#148629 - 09/12/08 02:23 PM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
While there are some stimulants such as caffeine in zip fizz and zenergize, there is no sugar, and a whole lot of other nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, and herbal blends, which although not necessarily proven beneficial seem to me to have some subtle effects. I too try to avoid sugary sports drinks, and the Red Bull type energy drinks were preferable in Baghdad, but not in my every day life here.

Check the labels on these that I've suggested, and I think you'll find them more akin to taking a multi-vitamin than to gatorade. In any case, the B-complex are what I am after as a stimulant beyond the initial caffeine hit. B vitamins are more durable, and have the added effect of turning your body into a bug repellent.

As with all things, moderation is still preferable. I used to drink two pots of coffee a day, until I developed an ulcer and had to cut back to two cups a day now.

I used to watch the boys and girls going out on rat patrol in the morning from Steel Dragon toting half a dozen cans of Red Bull out of the chow hall. They would have them all emptied by 10:00 am or so. When I got the nerve to inquire about it, their response was they wanted to be alert while out on patrol. Makes sense I guess. Half a dozen Red Bulls a day can't be too healthy though. Then again, neither was the chow that KBR served us and them.

#148630 - 09/12/08 02:28 PM Re: Energy Drinks [Re: benjammin]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I once had the misfortune of drinking a couple of Vodkas(Grey Goose)with Redbull...never again my friends...never again...lol

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 381 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.