The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#143197 - 08/07/08 11:29 PM Injured Climber -- see comments at end
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Here's an article I came across recently about an injured climber. Yes, this is sort of preaching to the choir, but I found his comments (in bold) at the end to be interesting, particularly given their context.

Quote:
Injured man, 27, plucked off Mt. Baker
U.S. navy chopper comes to rescue after slide down glacier goes awry

Glenda Luymes
The Province

Thursday, August 07, 2008

An Abbotsford man is recovering in hospital after an accident on Mount Baker.

Nathan Prachnau was airlifted from the snow-capped Washington peak Monday evening after breaking his ankle.

"I'm in a little bit of pain, but I guess it could have been worse," he said yesterday from his hospital bed.

Prachnau, 27, and two friends were hiking down the mountain's steep summit when they decided to sit in the snow and slide for a short distance.

Prachnau's crampon snagged in some ice while his body continued to travel downhill, wrenching his leg and breaking his right fibula.

With the help of some other climbers, his friends made a splint out of their ice axes and a sled from some ski poles. It took five hours to descend 1,200 metres to their tents near the bottom of the Coleman Glacier. Prachnau rested while his friends tried to make a crutch, intending to try to walk down the mountain.

"I didn't have insurance," he said yesterday. "I didn't want to pay thousands of dollars for a helicopter."

Another hiker saw what was going on and radioed search-and-rescue. A U.S. navy helicopter soon arrived.

"They told me I didn't have to worry about paying for the rescue," said Prachnau.

He was transferred to an ambulance in Bellingham and admitted to hospital for two hours before his mother picked him up to bring him across the border.

Judy Prachnau said that, when she first talked to her son, he was sedated with painkillers.

"He kept saying, 'It's free,' " she recalled. "I guess he was pretty concerned about the cost [of the helicopter]."

Prachnau's family was worried when he didn't return home as planned by 7 p.m. Monday.

The father of one of his climbing buddies called 911 to report the three friends overdue and learned they had been airlifted off the mountain.

Prachnau had surgery in Abbotsford on Tuesday to repair a torn ligament and insert pins in his ankle. His leg will be in a cast for a few months.

But the avid outdoorsman said the accident won't stop him from climbing again.

"I would definitely be more prepared next time," he said.

"If you're somewhere out of phone range, you need to have some kind of radio or . . . emergency satellite phone."

"You need to be prepared for the worst, because it can happen."

There you have it, direct and to the point. That about says it (and from a person who's not a member of this forum, lol)

#143201 - 08/07/08 11:53 PM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: Hikin_Jim]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I went on a Search last night. Overdue hiker that called in
on his cell phone. He managed to hike out and meet us at the
trailhead about midnight. As he had no flashlight he used the
cell phone for illumination.

He too was very concerned if he would be billed for the search. When he found out we were volunteers he started
handing out $20 bills to everyone. We told him we don't
take tips, but in the end he donated them to the gear fund.

Next time he will bring a flashlight.

#143202 - 08/08/08 12:17 AM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: Hikin_Jim]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"..."I didn't have insurance,"..."

In my opinion, insurance is just another part of being prepared...

#143208 - 08/08/08 12:53 AM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: OldBaldGuy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Classic. Can't say I haven't said similiar things about costs for hospital visits. But hey, a coffin costs $5,000 so take your pick on where the money goes.

Insurance, just major medical, is not that much and IMHO required of all thrill seekers.

#143271 - 08/08/08 04:09 PM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

And it's best to take your crampons off when glissading.

#143292 - 08/08/08 05:46 PM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

lol. A tough job but somebody had to do it, eh?

So, I take it she was wearing crampons?

On a side note, getting injured while glissading is very common. One piece of advice on glissading I've been hearing lately is "don't."

#143317 - 08/08/08 08:33 PM Re: Injured Climber -- see comments at end [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

She's really lucky she didn't screw up her knee or get a more severe cut. Thank God that God is the God that God is. (I'd certainly be kaput by now if not for Him)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet), 360 Guests and 86 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.