Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117346 - 12/24/07 01:36 AM Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective
NYC_Doc Offline
Stranger

I've improvised a durable and highly functional survival "Burrito Bag" from two commonly carried items: The grommeted, reflective Sportsman's Blanket (the heavier space blanket from MPI Outdoors, costs about $14, 5 x 7 feet), and duct tape.

The survival "Burrito Bag"(as I have named it!)can be made in a few minutes, keeping your blanket and duct tape available for other things until you need to make the bag. It is far more durable than typical space blankets or bags, is waterproof and windproof, and may be used as a bivvy bag OR "poncho style" so you can walk in it while wearing it.

Here's my recipe for a super warm survival "Burrito Bag":

1. Fold the blanket in half, lengthwise, so that the reflective side is on the inside and the colored side is the outside.
2. Duct tape one of the short sides together completely.
3. Duct tape the open long side together from the bottom (#2) upwards, stopping about 18 inches or so from the top. Leave a few spaces between some of the taped parts for ventilation.
4. The other long section is folded over and doesn't need to be taped.

You can now use this 2.5 foot wide x 7 foot long Burrito in two ways:

1. Slip into the Survival Burrito feet first, and use it just like a bivvy sack. If you have a sleeping pad, you can slide this underneath you.

OR

2. While standing up, slip the Survival Burrito over your head. Shimmy it down all the way to your feet. The closed off end (the bottom if you are using it as a bivvy sack) now forms a very tight wind and waterproof hood. Using your hands or a pocketknife, open up a breathing/vision slit by breaking some of the duct tape seal at the level that is right for you.

You will notice that you can easily walk in the Burrito when worn as described in #2. Shorter people may have to hike it up a bit or even tape it up, which is easily done.

With your back to the wind, you can sit out a storm quite nicely.

Works great if you are in your car as you can sit down easily in it.

In a disaster, or while traveling, if your heat goes out, you can reuse this many many times. I used it for weeks in Africa when nightime temps were in the low 40's.

I have stood in a 15 mph wind in the Survival Burrito in 30 degree weather in a light wool shirt, light wool hat and hiking pants and been quite comfortable.

If you line 3 sides with velcro strips (like the Integral Designs Guides Sil Tarp 2), you can really whip up a Burrito very quickly.

Notes:

1. Gorilla Tape works better than Duct Tape, although Duct is fine.
2. This is durable and reusable. You can easily roll it up and carry it with you. I've used mine many nights.
3. "Survival Pita"--the double sized version: Take two of these Sportsman's Blankets and just tape the two blankets together (two longs sides and one short side). Instant two-person reflective bivvy sack.
4. Can be easily fixed if tape rips. Just replace the tape!
5. If you stick a few long 3-4 foot strips of duct tape onto your blanket, then you can just remove these strips when needed to make the blanket.

Respectfully submitted,

NYC Doc

#117348 - 12/24/07 01:55 AM Re: Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective [Re: NYC_Doc]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
NYC_Doc
welcome to the forum. Great idea but a little late, check out AMK's bivy bag. Don't get discouraged though we all do it.

#117353 - 12/24/07 02:20 AM Re: Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective [Re: raydarkhorse]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Dave

#117393 - 12/24/07 01:23 PM Re: Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective [Re: NYC_Doc]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
NYC Doc,

Welcome to the fire! That's creative setup you've described.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117422 - 12/25/07 02:24 AM Re: Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective [Re: Blast]
NYC_Doc Offline
Stranger

Thanks all for the welcome!

Ray Dark Horse--of course I know of the AMK bivvy, I have 2-3 of them. Problem is they are not really multi-use gear, and are a bit flimsy--I always feel like I'm going to rip it apart, especially when tossing and turning overnight with boots on. But I do carry one sometimes, it's a great product.

I'm a big fan of improvisation--because maybe you'll have specialty equipment and maybe you won't--and my survival Burrito was more in that vein, and also as an option instead of the more expensive Land/Shark Stealthbag--a nice product but vacuum packed and expensive.

The new Blizzard Bags are very nice, but they may be a bit noisy.

If I had my choice and weight weren't an issue, I'd always pick one thing and one thing only--a queen sized Hudson's Bay Point Blanket. Bombproof, thick 100% wool to last a lifetime. Great option for a cabin or car.

Anyhow happy holidays and nice to be here.

#117426 - 12/25/07 03:05 AM Re: Survival "Burrito Bag"--cheap, durable, effective [Re: NYC_Doc]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A bear sees a walking burrito holding a can of pepper spray...

"Hey, great! Spicy Mexican food!"

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 393 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.