Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116397 - 12/18/07 03:28 PM Decorative & Practical Backup Heat?
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
My wife spotted a fake fireplace mantle in the store that comes with an electric "fire"/heater. I didn't like the electric heater because its expensive to run and no use in a power outage, so I started looking at all manner of "ventless" fireplaces. What a can of worms!

There are all kinds models that propane and nat. gas (but not both). There are also "gel fuel" units that burn what appear to be giant cans of sterno (reviewers comment that the fuel is expensive).

I'm inclined to go with propane because I have a large tank that runs only the stove at the moment. And no, I can't run the oven for heat because I stupidly bought a model that has a digitally controlled oven. I'm not sure its very safe to do so anyway.

A further complication is that my wife is only interested in the decorative aspect of the mantle.

Any experience/comments/suggestions/wisecracks?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#116398 - 12/18/07 03:36 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi thseng,

I think you are on to a good idea and one which I intend to explore when I get enough cash to buy the decorative fireplace my wife wants. I could go with either propane or natural gas but would proabally do propane because it is a stand alone system, you are not depending on the gas supply, only what you have in storage.

I am eager to hear the responses from the forum to learn about these products.

This maybe the first preparedness product that my DW will actually support!

Mike

#116402 - 12/18/07 03:57 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can tell you a little bit about those electric fireplaces, since our new home on wheels has one. Very nice to look at, but they do require electricity, and even tho they (or at least ours) have a fan, it is a very puny fan, so all of the heat generated comes out the vents, then goes straight up. Luckily, we have a ceiling fan, so we put that on winter mode and let it move that heat back down to us. But I can not really recommend them as a decent heat source...

#116418 - 12/18/07 05:14 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Some of those fake fireplaces and mantles look great. But I agree with the others -- forget about them as a heat source.

There are a number of "ventless" gas heaters on the U.S. market. They use an extra-efficient burner system, a catalytic converter, and a low-oxygen shutdown sensor. But I'm skeptical of them, at least in a sealed house and sleeping area. They still vent tiny amounts of carbon monoxide, and the moisture from combustion stays in the house. They'd be great in an unheated sunroom, though.

To my knowledge, ventless gas heaters are neither legal nor available in Canada.

I believe there are stand-alone gas fireplaces (with a wall vent) that will operate without electricity.

My parents installed a couple of these gas fireplaces, one in a sunken living room and one in their basement. They are surprisingly effective as heaters, and not half bad to look at either.

#116449 - 12/18/07 08:55 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: thseng]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Have you looked into Pellet Stoves?

Since you already have the propane hook-up, it might not be worth buying yet another fuel, but if so they have some artsy pellet stoves that are starting to hit the market. Artsy meaning that they look like modern appliances more than traditional or antique stoves.

#116479 - 12/19/07 12:56 AM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: Nicodemus]
Lance_952 Offline

I have been using two vent free natural gas fireplaces to heat my house for the last three years.
They heat my house much better then the furnace did, and are also cheaper for me to use.
As for safety, I have brought in two different CO detectors and they show nothing even when I held them next to the fire places.

#116492 - 12/19/07 02:16 AM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: Lance_952]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's interesting, Lance_952. Thanks for the report. Can you tell use what brand you're using?

I've been considering one of these Mr. Heater models for a winter workshop. Neither are decorative, but they look handy.
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116 (available in Canada)
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=57&id=171 (availability unknown)

Anybody ever use one of these?

#116522 - 12/19/07 06:35 AM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Pellet stoves require electricity for the auger and the fan.

Has anyone come up with a solar/battery/pellet stove yet?

Sue

#116524 - 12/19/07 12:07 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have one of the Mr Heater's that I use when I take my 14ft travel trailer camping, I'm in the process of redoing the electrical, plumbing and heating in it. The Mr Heater keeps it toasty, I bought an adapter and use a 20lb tank with it.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#116531 - 12/19/07 02:05 PM Re: Decorative & Practical Backup Heat? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Lance_952 Offline

Doug, I have Pro-Com, I got them from Northern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.