Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#112763 - 11/17/07 05:45 PM Photon Freedom problem
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
Hi all, I just fixed a problem with my Photon Freedom that might also affect you. I replaced the batteries after using the light for about a year and found that it wasn't as bright as when it was new. I took the batteries out and found that one of the new ones was completely dead!
It turns out that this happened because the metal bracket that holds the batteries in is insulated on the sides with some green paint. This had chipped off when i replaced the batteries (see picture, yellow arrow points at chipped paint) and shorted one of them.
I fixed this by gluing in some thin plastic to cover the chip, i suppose you could use paint or nail polish as well. Or even scotch tape, just something thin that insulates.

Attachments
photon2.jpg

#112764 - 11/17/07 05:54 PM Re: Photon Freedom problem [Re: aardvark]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Nice save. I have a few Photons and really like them. You may have saved me some future frustration.

#112816 - 11/18/07 02:50 PM Re: Photon Freedom problem [Re: aardvark]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

FYI, I asked David Allen of Photon and here's David's reply:

"Aardvark is correct and has effectively done what we have had to do to fix the issue. The green material we used orginally is a catalyst hardening epoxy that was supposed to be tough and hard at the same time. Most of them are (BUT) when the mix is either old or not right the material is too hard and chips or is too soft and is gooey. I had to take the human element out of the mix as the worker did not always mix and use the material in the manner required. This was changed a couple years ago to a strap that does not need the "extra material". He has the right idea of a fix as if the material is compromised it will short out the top battery. We even tried a clip on insulator before I gave it up and modified the molds to accomodate a new strap design. All of that took about 6 months of testing and work. You will experience an easier battery change with the new design.

We try to fix any issue that comes up as soon as it is identified. And Aardvark has the right idea that will enable the light to keep giving for many years to come."

If you have an older Photon that exhibits this issue you can follow his example and fix it yourself, or send it in and Photon will cover it under warranty.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#112845 - 11/18/07 06:51 PM Re: Photon Freedom problem [Re: Doug_Ritter]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
Wow, that is very cool. I'm glad that they are aware of this problem and have fixed it. Normally, i would have sent in the light for repair so that they would be be aware of the issue but it was a trivial fix and not worth the shipping. Thanks Doug for bringing this to their attention, it's nice to have friends in high places. smile

Regards,
Drew

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 368 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.