Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#57577 - 01/08/06 01:08 PM Reading Ray Mears book...
Omega Offline
Journeyman

I was reading Ray Mears' "Bushcraft" book and found very interesting point: he talks about survival, but there is nothing about survival kit!
His book is so far the best survival book I have read. He talks about gear, how to choose, does not really pushes his ideas into the reader, but his points are so logical that you cannot disagree. In fact, he covers most things I am interested in (how to select a knife, what should I select a cutting tool - long knife, machete, or axe, bowdrilling firemaking, finding water and food etc) with sufficient details to practice (except making snares, I guess it is because it is illegal to snare animals in the UK).
But why he does not mention any survival kit? Any ideas? Perhaps, he spreads his kit around in his other kit that he will always have something in hand. Plus, he tries to improvise using natural material.
Regards,

#57578 - 01/08/06 04:12 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Until pretty recently, the gear a man carried in his pack and on his belt were normal "living" items; equipment he needed to live his day-to-day existance. "Survival" had no seperation from normal life.
It is (or was) assumed training and experiance permitted man to live and thrive without a wide array of gear. Much of what he needed was derived from nature. The natural man would be amazed to find ETS members agonizing if five blades were adequate, or do I really need a sixth. In addition, he was generally not interested in being "rescued".
Mears may also assume anyone who mastered the skills outlined in his book would be smart enough to figure out the basic equipment needs, based on season, terrain etc. You need to do the dirt time. Lets remember, ETS is too often aimed just toward the toys, not the skills required.

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."

#57579 - 01/08/06 04:22 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I can't say that I've read Ray Mears' books, but I loved both "Ray Mears' Bushcraft" and "Ray Mears' World of Survival" (I don't know the original names prior to them being played on the Discovery Channel here in the States). I'd also like to see "Ray Mears' Extreme Survival".

Man he likes his name to be on the product. LOL

I'm disappointed that I can't find "legit" copies of these shows in US Region DVDs. If I could, I'd order them immediately because I missed quite a few of them and some of the tips are quite frankly some of the best I've seen.

#57580 - 01/09/06 12:19 AM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
AMEN

#57581 - 01/09/06 02:04 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
Spooky Offline

Loc: S. Wales UK
[quote] Mears may also assume anyone who mastered the skills outlined in his book would be smart enough to figure out the basic equipment needs, based on season, terrain etc. You need to do the dirt time. Lets remember, ETS is too often aimed just toward the toys, not the skills required.

Well said. You really have to put your "time in"and practice your craft, that goes for most things in life be that shooting/fishing/hunting or survival skills. Knowledge gained in the field is priceless

#57582 - 01/09/06 03:01 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Quote:
You really have to put your "time in"and practice your craft

Arnold Palmer once said, "Golf is all luck, but the more I practice, the luckier I get".

#57583 - 01/09/06 03:24 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
widget Offline
Addict

I have all the available DVD's that Ray Mears sells. The 2004/05 series are excellent! They play fine on my DVD machine which is an Akai.
They also play fine on the computer. For some reason, computer DVD software will play any format DVD.
I bought my Mears DVD's from a seller on Ebay, which was the simplest way to get it accomplished.

#57584 - 01/15/06 10:26 AM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
Anonymous
Unregistered

He hasn't mentioned kit because he doen't like it! Thinking logically you can survive for weeks with just a knife so that is all he uses

#57585 - 01/15/06 07:15 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
smarguet Offline

Loc: England
I don't think Ray Mears actually conisders him self a "survivalist" as such and so doesn't have a list of must have kit. He also seems to promote the skills needed to make what you need rather than relying on carrying every thing that you may need. He has several books and DVDs on differing regions of the globe and he does mention specific items that are used in that area but even in these he shows you how to manage on what you can find. The only kit he seems to have all the time is a good knife and more often than not water.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

#57586 - 01/16/06 07:41 PM Re: Reading Ray Mears book...
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
I have afew of his books (couldnt tell you which one, got SOOO many survival books!) but he often talks about his "possibles bag". I get the impression this is his survival kit, he DOES carry a firesteel, tinder, matches in Matchsafe, and some cordage) but he certainly seems not to carry too much hi-tech gear.
His courses here in the UK are supposed to be excellent but places are booked up MONTHS & MONTHS in advance

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 385 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.