Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#43318 - 07/08/05 02:57 PM survival kit for my dog
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Reading many of the posts on this forum has made me feel more prepared than ever before. Thanks to everyone for all the good info. But I worry about my dog. She is almost always with me . Any ideas on how to keep her healthy and safe in a survival situation?

#43319 - 07/08/05 03:02 PM Re: survival kit for my dog
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Dogs are much more survivable than people. Basically, they just need to be kept hydrated. And you don't really need clean water, they seem to tolerate a lot more junk.

#43320 - 07/08/05 03:17 PM Re: survival kit for my dog
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Water, food, spare collar, leash and ID tag, doggie FAK, toy.
Dave

#43321 - 07/08/05 03:27 PM Re: survival kit for my dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I also (pretty much) always have my dog with me.

As Benton says, probably the biggest thing is to have enough water for the dog and some way for the dog to drink it. I have a big (80lbs) dog and she gets hot. I pretty much consider she needs as much water as I do, which means I'd prefer to have 2L for each of us at all times.

For the car and office kit, that isn't a problem, but it is too heavy to have that with me at all times. My approach is to have water ready to go in my office kit so that I can just toss the water into my pack and go.

In my case, a bowl isn't a huge issue since I carry plastic sandwich (storage actually) bags to pick up after her. In a pinch, you just make an improvised bowl. I also use a titanium camping "pot" to keep my dust masks from getting crushed which I could also use as a dog bowl. In my car kit I have one of those collapsible dog bowls.

In general, what you have for your dog will depend on your situation. I live in earthquake country, so I think about rough terrain (debris) and building escape. As such, a rescue sling seems like a useful item to have.

I also keep a set of dog boots for rough terrain, but I do worry about them impeading her ability to sweat and cool.

The other issue I worry about which I don't have a solution for yet is dust. I understand that several of the dogs that responeded to the 9/11 rescue effort died later due to gunk they breathed in. When I heard that, it made sense, but it (like other things prompted by 9/11) up until then I hadn't thought about it.

I wonder if an escape hood like this one might work...

Oh, you want to make sure you have a leash (or way to improvise one). Personally, I like this lead from Ray Allen because it has a ring in the handle so you can clip the lead back onto itself and wear it securely around your neck. It also small, and the braided portions allow for a comfortable, secure grip. The other nice thing about the ring on the handle is you can wear something like the Maxpedition Key Keyper on your belt, and then have an easy way to clip the dog to you when you want to have your hands free.

-john

Edit: Good point Dave. Dog should have collar (with ID)! Mine is "chipped" as well. FAK is also importaint, but my overlook this a bit since I just factor this into my normal carry FAK.

Edited by JohnN (07/08/05 03:30 PM)

#43322 - 07/09/05 01:46 AM Re: survival kit for my dog
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One idea I'd like to try is buy the right sized plastic kennel and store doggies survival stuff in it -- packed and ready to go.

( canned dog food, can opener, toys, leash, spare collar, bowl, blanket.)

#43323 - 07/09/05 01:51 AM Re: survival kit for my dog
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
You can get collapsing kennels if your dog is properly kennel trained and won't try to chew them up. I've got two that are built like a tent, the smallest packs down to about 6 by 19 inches for a 36 by 31 tent, plent of room for my 70 lb lab mix. Called a pack-a-pup tent. I bring that with everywhere, and set it up if I think she needs a refuge.

Edited by GoatRider (07/09/05 01:54 AM)

#43324 - 07/09/05 10:35 AM Re: survival kit for my dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
BTW, there was a previous dog kit thread you might want to check out.

-john

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.