Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17606 - 07/10/03 12:57 AM one man bivy shelter
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Greetings again,

I am looking for a one man bivy type shelter that is small when stowed and light weight of course. This tent will serve two purposes, one being and emergency shelter for hunting, camping etc, and also for going to the field as a Marine. It need to be black or green, maybe tan, but not normal camping colors, ie bright yellow.

Does anyone know where I can find a one man bivy shelter like this? I have only seen one, but it is too big, it sleeps two, and I want one that sleeps only one person.

If you a source or any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Garrett

#17607 - 07/10/03 01:01 AM Re: one man bivy shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

#17608 - 07/10/03 06:37 AM Re: one man bivy shelter
rastro Offline

Loc: Southern California
Don't you have a standard-issue poncho that you have to carry anyways?

Can be used as a shelter in several ways. Ranger roll, lean-to, buttoned up to another woobie to form a tent, etc.

If not, how about a Kifaru Parahootch?

#17609 - 07/10/03 07:45 AM Re: one man bivy shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

when you say biviy shelter are you talking about a tarp sort of affair, ie poncho or hootchie sheet, or do you meen a bivi bag, sort of a large plastic waterproof(sometimes breathable) sleeping bag cover? terra nova sell hooped designs terra nova bivi bags all the best with your searches
stevec

#17610 - 07/10/03 12:00 PM Re: one man bivy shelter
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

I have the pancho, but it gets a little tiring when you go out to the field that is next to a swamp and you are an all night buffet for skeeters!!

#17611 - 07/10/03 01:17 PM Re: one man bivy shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

if it's bugs you are worrying about then you might want to take a look at the clothes here combining the bug head-net that has the spring in it with a poncho / sleeping bag would probably solve the mosquito problem. If you are worried about the creepy-crawlers as well then the bug-hammock and your poncho could solve the problem. These are inexpensive bug protection that pack lighter than a tent. If you will be on the move then the full suit of bug clothing might be the trick. You could even use it for a ghille suit - maybe. ( haven't tried that) I don't own the clothes but do own the head-net without the spring. works great! The clothing might not be that durable for bush-whacking but under a poncho should survive.

#17612 - 07/10/03 10:10 PM Re: one man bivy shelter
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
One word: ecotat. NSN No. 8340-01-360-4427

.....CLIFF

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- LAZARUS LONG.

#17613 - 07/11/03 03:35 AM Re: one man bivy shelter
widget Offline
Addict

I once had the perfect item! It was made by Gerry back when they made backpacks and stuff. It was basically a good size tarp of light coated ripstop nylon. On the long edges it had a separating nylon zipper and on the short sides it had extra material forming an overhang for the doors. It had mosquito netting at each end that was attached behind the overhangs. The netting was large enough to roll it up and fasten with ties or let it down to cover the entrances. If you zipped the sides together, it made a one man tent with a floor and bug net doors. If you unzipped the sides, it would make a 2 man shelter without floor and the bug net still covered the door areas. You could also use it as a simple tarp to cover a fairly large area, with the bug net rolled out of the way, of course. It had numerous nylon ties for pitching and staking it down and was very small and light. Really versatile!! I used to carry this and a mil poncho to cover any situation, short of glacier climbing trips! Weight was about 1 lb. I would give anything to have another one!! Came in green, brown, orange too. Any manufacturers out there???

#17614 - 07/11/03 01:09 PM Re: one man bivy shelter
Casual_Hero Offline

Loc: England & Saudi Arabia
I second Steve,

a Terra Nova bivi is the Rolls Royce of sleeping shelters, but what a price, start saving now.

#17615 - 07/12/03 01:01 AM Re: one man bivy shelter
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

I like the ecotat system, but from what I saw on the website, you cant buy it without a govt account. It is perfect fro what I need though.

Garrett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 565 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.