RSK mk5 "Harpoon"

Posted by: JOEL

RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 01:29 PM

Hi! I don't know if this "application" already exist... I just had the idea a few minutes ago: A RSK mk5, a piece of wire, a multitool, and...

Posted by: bws48

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 02:22 PM

Interesting modification. I have a "survival" knife that was given to me many years ago that comes with a gizmo that fits into a slot in the blade to turn it into a similar type spear/harpoon.

My problem with the idea is this: even with it tied to me with something stout, e.g. paracord, do I really want to risk what is a key part of my equipment being dragged off into the bush, to be lost forever?

About the only realistic scenario I could come up with is spearing fish, so that the fish doesn't slip off after spearing. And for that purpose, I think a sharp stick and the wire might me just as effective. Don't want my knife going to the bottom of the lake/river/ocean either.

Still, ideas like this are something to keep in mind and in our bag of ticks.

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 02:37 PM

Anyways, this is not the best way to catch a fish, I'm afraid...

Like you said, it's just something to keep in mind.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 05:37 PM

I love the design and the creativity.

Having been in streams that you could fish like that I can apreciate the usfulness of your modification.

while I wouldn't want to risk my ONLY knife, I am an admited multi knife guy so loosing one would tick me off but not be the end of the world.

Keep up the creativity!!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 05:40 PM

i read about somthing like this in Lofty Wiseman's SAS book last night. he recommends not tying it to yourself. rather, tie it to a line, and hold that with your hands covered. also, don't do it with your only or best knife.

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 06:31 PM

Thanks for the interest and the advices. I'm a multiknife man too, and I use the RSK as a back up (almost never) and I know it is truly difficult to catch a fish this way. I did it once in my life (and I'm 47 years old!) and it was just luck...
Posted by: KenK

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/21/11 10:46 PM

Do you have ANY idea how much a whale weighs???

I don't think its reasonable.

;-)
Posted by: haertig

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 01:07 AM

I would expect that if you stabbed that into a small animal - like a fish - the wire would just stop the knife from penetrating past that point. And if you stabbed it into a larger animal - like a Wookie - the wire would not be anywhere near strong enough to act as a barb. It would just bend down on the way in, and then reverse and bend back the other way on the way out.

It's worth testing to see if it would work, but I have my doubts.

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 07:10 AM

Hi KenK. You're right, it's not reasonable. A whale is too much food for me.

Hi Haertig. Between a small fish and a Wookie, there is a lot of animals of all size... And, I'm sorry but in my world (real world, where goods ideas work) Wookies doesn't exist...

The wire is actually [/u]very strong[u], trust me, and very easy to shape (inwards, backwards, shorter...).

If you don't like the harpoon, the idea still a good one to make a small grabbling hook or something liker that...
Posted by: Frisket

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 11:03 AM

I love how usefull wire is with a pair of pliers such as ones in a multitool. I just used some decent gauge wire to create eyelets on a pencil almost fishing pole style. They are amazingly sturdy once done for the bendability of the wire.

I just couldnt live with myself if i hit a rock and broke the tip off my Mk5 even if in a survival situation id be heartbroken.

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 03:07 PM

Hi Frisquet.

I think like you, but only in everyday life. In a survival situation, I'll try anything before using my RSK as a harpoon, because I think it is the most difficult way to catch fish or small game. But if it is the only way... I'll buy another one later.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 03:22 PM

I would rather use my knife to carve a harpoon point from a handy piece of hardwood. It would not last forever, but it would serve.

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 05:11 PM

It's a good idea too, but once getting wet, even hard wood quickly get softer. And a soft point can't pierce the scales of a medium sized fish. But yes, it would serve.
Posted by: thseng

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 05:42 PM

Don't completely discount the spear as a survival tool.

Steven Callahan survived for 76 days in an inflatible life raft because he was able to spear the fish that were attracted to the raft. He was unable to catch fish with a hook because the large fish would bite right through the line and he didn't have a wire leader.

At one point, when he jabbed a fish the spear tip came off inside it and it swam away. He was able to fashion a new spear tip from, among other things, a mess kit butter knife.

Would you trade your smallest knife for your only chance to eat?
Posted by: Frisket

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 11:16 PM

Steve Callahan actually used a speargun not a spear there is a major difference tho Im sure a spear woulda worked well in that situation too.

Originally Posted By: JOEL
It's a good idea too, but once getting wet, even hard wood quickly get softer. And a soft point can't pierce the scales of a medium sized fish. But yes, it would serve.

You can always figure out ways to incorporate the wire to the stick to make a better spear would loveto see what you come up with.
Posted by: Eric

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/22/11 11:47 PM

The original fish spears were wood and only wood. Tips were fire hardened and lasted long enough to catch fish over several days of fishing. I think I'd try that first before risking my knife. Worst case I can always carve a new spear if the tip softens or breaks. I haven't tried spearfishing but in my experience even pine ( very soft wood) stays pretty hard if all you are doing is occasionally dipping it in the water. It will soften if you leave it in though.

- Eric

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/23/11 12:02 AM

I don't know much about this, but I saw a lot of prehistoric bone or stone harpoons point. Wood point, except bamboo, is weak and soft. and weaker and softer if wet. Y try spearfishing a lot of time, and I caught a fish just one time. With a metal point. I'm sure I won't be able to catch it with a wooden point spear... But perhaps I'm wrong.

And the fish I caught, I was in Morocco, on a sand beach. No risk for the blade.
Posted by: cliff

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/23/11 03:49 AM

Joel:

Put down the Harpoon. I think you've had enough. grin grin grin

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea.

.....cliff
Posted by: Eric

Re: RSK mk5 "Harpoon" - 02/23/11 03:53 AM

Joel,

Not knocking the idea, think it is pretty inventive and a nice option to have in the playbook. It is also probably not the first thing I'd try for several reasons, most importantly, I'm not a big fan of fish - probably try spearing something land based first unless I was really, really hungry. smile

- Eric