Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'm curious if Bear's Nic Vroomans and Les's Michael Kiraly are constant members of the production team or just brought on for those specific areas. I would guess that Dave Holladay was acting in that capacity for Les in the Sonoran.

You know, I noticed the same thing on a rerun of Bear's Iceland episode - Vroomans was listed as survival expert.

I am speculating that since these shows are geared toward survival in different situations without any equpment to speak of, someone on the staff has the ongoing job of researching local plants, animals and hazards, and communicating that information to the presenter/actor/star. I would think that it would be nearly impossible to be equally expert on each and every area of the world. I mean, I can knock around here in the Northeast somewhat adequately, but in your neck of the woods I would not immediately know many of the useful plants, for example.

And if I were in Iceland it would never occur to me to risk hypothermia by jumping into a glacial creek because I could see steam from a geothermal spring on the horizon and assume I could get there and get warm before I passed out and died. I'm just too uneducated and provincial, I guess.

Frank2135