Quote:
46? 45.456 72? 22.32 is not at all the same as
46? 45' 06" 72? 22' 32"

Indeed 780 yards difference assuming the same datum is used i.e WGS-84 for example.

If the 911 call handler has Internet access, the conversation could be along the lines, (this works for Degrees Minutes Seconds DMS coordinates)

Open Internet explorer,

enter on the address bar the following; www.maps.google.com ,

type at the flashing prompt just below the google logo, just above where it says search map, the following;

type forty six space forty five space zero six forward slash seventy two space twenty two space thirty two and click on search maps button at the end of where you have just typed.

As you can see I'm in Kazakhstan if you zoom out using the zoom bar on the left of the picture map.

If the GPS gives the coordinates as Degrees, Minutes with Decimal Seconds (DMM) you would ask the operater to search;

type forty six space forty five point four five six forward slash seventy two space twenty two point three two

If the GPS gives the coordinates as Degrees decimal (DDD) you would ask the operater to search;

type forty six point four five four five six forward slash seventy two point two two three two

Could get yourself out of a lot of trouble if you understand the google earth latitude longitude format and can instruct the operator on how to use google maps.

In the UK we don't really use DDD,DMM or DMS mappings but the OSGB datum giving grid references such as NO369741 (you can find me here), it is so much easier to use and distances between two grid references allow the distance between the two to be calculated easily. smile The Garmin eTrex GPS will output its location both in WGS-84 and OSGB map coordinates. The OSGB map coordinates are then exceptionally easy to locate on a UK ordnance survey map either 1:50,000 or 1:25,000.

Edited by bentirran (06/29/07 11:25 PM)