I used to have one of them filter thingies that sat atop my mug, till one day when it tipped my mug while I was pouring water into it and the splash went into my wife's lap. Then it went into the fire ring right quick. I blame it on the lousy picnic table, the fact that I was handling hot water BEFORE getting my caffiene dose, and Murphy taking a seat right next to the wife and bumping my arm or something just as I was pouring. Looking back, OBG's thermos idea might've saved the day.

Depending on the crowd at camp, I use a coffee boiler with one of them old tobacco bags loaded with grounds. None ever escape, and the cleanup is a cinch. Actually, the bags are little mineral sample bags that are much the same as the old plug cut tobacco containers Grandad used for his coffee making afield.

I've tried using them filter encapsulated Maxwell House things. Not a bad idea, except for the coffee inside was worthless. Same went for them Folgers single serving teabag types. Lousy coffee mixed with a good idea still equals a lousy cup of coffee.

Then I came across a teabag type arrangement from a company down in Oz called Robert Timms. They actually had a couple different offerings for a "gourmet" type coffee, my favorite being an italian roast blend. I later found out that the teabag contained a combination of fairly good quality dark roast grounds and a bit of good quality instant expresso. Needless to say, I became quite a fan. Not only was it a vast improvement over the instant offerings most of the Aussies seemed to favor, but it was well packaged and not too expensive.

Sadly, Robert Timms does not export to the US. As you can imagine, I managed to smuggle a good supply of the little baggies back home here with me, to be included in any future camping/backpacking trips and such. No need to waste them here in town when I've literally got a Stabuck's on every block around me, and we have office coffee free for the taking. Just in case, I have contacts back in Oz that will ship me more anytime I feel the need.

I will still use my coffee boiler and tobacoo bags at camp if I have more than two coffee drinkers, me included. I will, however, always keep a handful of these Timms bags in my EDC/BOB/grub box, for those times when I need a convenient cup or two. They will sit right next to my Lipton Black tea bags, of course.