The thing to remember about motorcycles and bikes is that our minds don;t always process their presence. What I mean is, at night, when we're checking for traffic, we're looking for TWO headlights. In the daytime, we're looking for LARGE four-wheeled objects, not the slim profile of a motorcycle.

Like the rest of you, right now I'm thinking "I always check to make sure the "roadway" is clear, not necessarily that a particular type of vehicle is coming, but that NOTHING is coming....before entering traffic". But the fact is, our minds are processing thousands of pieces of information every minute... our urgency to get somewhere ebbs and flows... our patience wavers... the talk-show radio host has us stirred up...the music's too loud (or too offensive)...etc etc.

I've never caused a major accident, but I have pulled out in front of people and felt scared and embarrassed. It's the spit-second mistake that ends up causing the accident with motorcycles. Not more than one month ago, I watched a car pull out in front of a Harley not 30 feet from me. What alerted me was the sound of the big bike's tires locking up on the asphalt. The guy almost had to lay down his bike. He was smoking hot, to say the least, and the other driver drove away in complete bliss. It appeared the lady never knew what almost happened.

You know the old saying: "Watch out for the other guy". Bike riders are on that alert ALL the time, but even they suffer the same mental maladys mentioned above. I know, I too rode a big bike for several years. Being Mr. Alert and Mr. Defensive only lasts so long...before relaxing.

Edited by Stretch (06/07/07 04:05 AM)