Quote:
The precautions for large chopping blades and machetes are not AT ALL obvious...
The first time you perform a 'draw' cut with a good machete, or golok, and it slices right through FIVE INCHES of hardwood without much effort, and continues on to cut your kneecap, you will find that out...
It happened to me, but fortunately the limb was SIX inches thick, and the blade followed the grain and stuck in the limb... And I KNEW about large blade safety beforehand...

I don't know, I grew up helping my dad in the woods and all so maybe I see things a little differently. But personally I don't think there's much mystery to using a large chopper or machete safely. Always cut away from yourself, always be in full control of the tool and visualize how the blade is going to travel to target (with follow through). You also have to watch out for any obstructions in the path of the blade (even a small twig can deflect your tool as you swing it, very dangerous) and keep a safety distance from your buddies when working in a group. It's not that difficult. The real challenge is developing optimal technique so that you use minimum effort on your end and let the tool do most of the job with its own weight. That's very important when you have to work all day long.

These things are best learned through experience. But if machetes are dangerous, what about axes? I worked with my woodman's pal since I was 8 or 9 but my dad never allowed me near an axe until I was into my teens. Using an axe takes much more skill and control, but it really is worth it because you can accomplish a lot more work with it. There's no need to be afraid of tools. Get to know them better, ask a friend or relative from the countryside to show you how it's done. It's a great way to pick up useful skills.