On the paracord/rappelling idea... I'd like to nip this in the bud. Paracord has a 550lb break strength, for a static load. Rappelling on it would create loads well in excess of 550lbs, dropping you such that you probably would suffer greater injuries than broken legs. If you are wanting to rappel, please visit a climbing shop and get some light climbing rope. Or at least some 8mm accessory cord. That would *probably* be strong enough to prevent breaking, is still relatively light and compact and could be packed. Also, look at getting an ATC or Figure 8 or some other decending device and wear a belt along the lines of a wilderness belt from www.thewilderness.com. In the stress of a situation like that hanging onto the rope with your hands would not be the best idea.

Several years ago, I sat in a lecture from a Fire Chief from a local city here. It was geared towards fire safety and what to do when traveling or living in an apt. in case of a fire. He made the point that you are better off staying in the room you are in and covering yourself with mattresses and bedding than trying to climb down sheets that are tied together. Most people underestimate how tough it is to hang onto those things, or being in a hurry they don't tie the knots well enough not to slip. I would think the same kind of stress would be found in this kind of situation.

As mentioned before test out your solution somewhere safe, and then find a building to try exiting from... even if it's the second floor of your home.

Finally, if you are contemplating doing this... it might be worthwile to find a climbing club in your area and at least learn the basics about rappelling.