Re MDinana

You might wan't to have a look at the Columbia Sportswear Pocket Pliers - Multi Tool for $17.95

A recently got one in the UK about £7.99, even the ballistic nylon case is worth around half the price so it was a reasonable deal. Its not as good a Leatherman Core I have but it sort of ticks all the right boxes. Just what I think you are looking for. The Knife blade is apparently 440C steel - it does seem to also hold a reasonable edge like the Leatherman Core. It also states that the pliers are also 440C steel. The only downside is you have to be careful when folding the tools in and out of the handles. It certainly isn't as refined as the Leatherman but it appears to be quite a durable and tough little tool.

By the way the handles are not composite they are made from steel covered in a composite/nylon.

Edit

The reason I bought a second Multi-tool was that one of the tips of the needle nose pliers on the Leatherman Core snapped off whilst attempting to pry something. Wasn't best pleased. I was expecting the Leatherman Core to be a bit tougher considering that Leatherman claim the model to be their toughest. The steel in the Leatherman core seemed brittle and hard but not tough (in the truest material sense). The pliers are now not needle nose bust just ordinary pliers after snapping of the other tip (carefully with a Vice) and filling the ends down. Please don't think this is again a rant against an otherwise fine US made product. It is just what has happened.
So when I go prying things again I'll think I'll just use the £8 piece of Junk. It hasn't broken so far and if it does I won't be too bothered.

Edited by bentirran (04/09/07 02:12 AM)