I see quite a few good ideas on this thread, some I am going to take to my own EDC that I keep forgetting about. But I am also seeing a lack of the word KNIFE in most of these lists.

I dont want to spark another debate here, but I see so many posts on how to equip a boyscout or a kid in general (here and elsewhere) and there is such an aversion to giving child a knife. I have been carrying a knife since I was 7 when my granddad gave me first Case knife. Since then, I have gone through literally dozens until I found Spyderco and have had them ever since. I have never hurt myself or anyone else in doing so. I even remember carrying my knife to school. Why are we, as a culture or as a forum, so much against giving a child a knife. With the proper education and supervision, a child of 7 or 8 should be able to carry a knife.

I know that BSA has changed over the years, and what I could do when I was a Life Scout has probably changed dramatically, so there I cannot comment. But I think as responsible adults, which we all are, or we would not be here, we should be able to teach our children how to carry and use a knife responsibly.

Just my two cents.

Garrett