You bring up an important side issue. You don't know if the officer stopping you just recently experienced a shooting event. I learned the easy way (by not thinking and being stupid) about keeping my hands in plain sight. When I get stopped, I pull my wallet out of my back pocket (left hand) and hold the wheel w/my left hand (w/wallet in plain sight). Then I reach over to the glove box (after stopping, by the way), get my car's papers (registration and insurance) and place the right hand (w/the paperwork in plain sight), let the officer see my hands are full of wallet and paperwork, then I get out of the car and go to the rear and wait for him.
An officer once asked me for my wallet and I reached for it too fast and when I had it out and looked up, I had a 9mm pointed halfway at me (and on it's way back to the holster). I don't do stupid things like that anymore plus I always keep my hands in plain sight now while moving slow.
Officers have family that they want to get home to, like the rest of us! I certainly don't want to do their job (w/my sterling personality, I'd last about 1 day before being fired)