Let me introduce myself as an executive at ACR Electronics. I do not intend to use this forum for advertising or promotional purposes, but instead will attempt to answer questions and/or provide information.

ACR will look into these telephone numbers and will publish something to clear up confusion.

The topic of 406 beacon False Activations is one of the most frequent topics of discussion. The solution is for users to REGISTER their beacons and keep registration information current and accurate . As I understand it, neither the AFRCC nor the USCG will deploy SAR assets without first making an effort to verify that an emergency exists. If the beacon is registered, they will call the emergency contact numbers. If they do not reach anyone and the beacon continues to transmit, they then assume it is an emergency and they deploy assets.

If a beacon is unregistered, they usually wait for an unspecified period. At some point they deploy assets to either shut the beacon off or conduct a rescue if they find a legitimate emergency. Hence, if you want them to respond quickly, REGISTER your beacon.

If your beacon is properly registered, they will call you. I am told that 90% of all 406 beacon activations are false, and 80% of the false activations are resolved with a phone call. This is how the system works. As long as you do your part by Registering your beacon and keeping your registration information current, it works well. No assets are deployed or resources wasted. They don't have to "look around for your number", because it should be a part of your current registration.

If you accidentally activate your beacon and shut it off within the first minute or so, no transmission has occurred. Essentially, nothing happened other than you burned off some battery capacity. If you let it run for longer than a minute, then you will likely get a phone call.

If you have the correct number and you proactively call the appropriate agency to let them know your activation was false, they may still contact you at a later time because that is their protocol. There are a number of scenarios to explain this, including: the person operating the SARMaster desk is most likely not the person handling the phone calls to the RCC facility and he/she may or may not get your message before they receive your alert message.

The key to responsibly managing a false activation begins when you first purchase your beacon. You MUST 1. Register your beacon (in the USA at http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/) and 2. Keep your registration information current. In the event of a False Activation, 3. Get to the first Emergency Phone Number you listed on your registration form so that if you do not reach the appropriate authorities, they can Easily reach you. This is what the authorities expect from the user community. They do not expect nor require you to have a correct number to call in the event of a false activation. Just Keep Your Registration Current! Treat your beacon with Respect. And, you will find that the SAR authorities will treat you with respect should a false activation occur.