Thanks for the positive responses. It is not clear to me how the BOB will be used (never having been in a disaster), but at least I have something I can grab containing useful stuff if we have to leave.

I should point out that this is a one-person bag (mine). My wife has an identical bag containing generally the same stuff. The idea being that each bag is complete for one person. In addition, I EDC a Victorinox Swiss Champ, a cellphone, an ARC AAA-P and an enhanced Ritter PSK. There is some stuff in the car (folding camp shovel, hexamine stove, candles, wet weather gear etc.) which I really should inventory separately. I should also inventory what is in the shed.

If there is a flood then we will very likely have to leave- Canterbury (our local region) is very flat, and it is possible that flooding will be extensive. Earthquakes are okay if the ground hasn't opened up...

So, to answer the points raised:

Thanks for the idea of laminating the documents. I have thought of what would happen to my gear if it got wet (which is why a lot of it is in Ziploc bags), but of course the paper would not survive.

Batteries- it so happens that a local store sells AAA cells in 16-packs. I may add more, but I'd point out that the cell-phone charger is a last-resort device and won't be powered in general (takes the total down to 10 cells).

The kit is for me, but I have packed stuff to make me useful, as well as stuff that is useful to me.

The water was 2x 1.5l bottles or 3l in the list. I figured that that is a sensible amount to carry (it's heavy!). I have changed this for 6x 500ml bottles, as smaller units will lose less if spilled, or can be given away more easily. Also, when one bottle is empty it can be re-used without affecting the rest.

The spreadsheet only notes expiry when you open it (there's no magic). Here's the formula:

=IF(ISBLANK(F98);".";IF(NOW()>F98;"Expired";"."))

The expiry dates are in column F and this formula is just copied down in the adjacent column. If the expiry date is blank, or the date is not expired then the cell shows a single full-stop ".", otherwise it shows "Expired".

If bugging out on foot I won't grab more water. Too heavy. More batteries however won't affect the weight. If going by vehicle I already have some more water in it, and if time allows then I can grab more from the shed.

Still to add is cling-film wrap (for first aid), duct tape (of course), a multitool (prob. leatherman P4), safety pins and sewing kit, ibuprofen (for the FAK) and some extra clothing.

The tea bags etc. are for use when we 'get somewhere'. I don't have a stove or billy in the bag. Hot food/drink would be nice, but Mainstay bars need no cooking (and I'm told they are delicious).

The Civil Defence items are included because I have to put them somewhere. My wife and I are CD volunteers and have been trained in manning a CD shelter, first aid, and basic urban search and rescue. In a disaster we might be asked to volunteer and assist, so I thought I'd grab the bag then I'm pretty well equipped to look after myself, and I can put my armband on and identify myself as a trained volunteer.

So, once again, thanks for the positive comments. Next I suppose I should practice in the garden.

A