More interesting points on how Zaptag would function in the US, however a few inaccuracies in this post...

[/I] Wait a minute - this is a Sandisk Cruzer Micro wrapped in plastic'. - It is not a Sandisk Crizer wrapped in plastic. The Sandisk Waterproof was specially developed for the storage of medical records and is currently the USB of choice of the US military. See link...
http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1031

2. "The drive itself is extremely rugged and can be submerged in water up to 4ft, making it the ultimate travellers companion."
FOUR feet? Umm....no thanks. I want something that will survive at least the freaking water park, not to mention ditching over water!
- according to Sandisk it is the most waterproof drive on the market - and they make them! It conforms to IEC 60529 IPX8 (to 4 feet/1.2 meters), which the Cruzer does not, and in reality can no doubt withstand much more.

Point 3 is v intersting to hear re. records in the US. In the UK, within the NHS - all patient records are now electronic.

Having worked within the UK NHS I have no doubt that electronic was the right step forward. We used to recieve PHOTCOPIES of patients referrals and FULL MEDICAL RECORDS via unsecured fax lines, by Royal Mail post and left on the doorstep of our triage centre!

It is therefore not impossible to digitize patient records. I would say the major down side of the system is that it is not centralised and critical information accessible to A&E depts etc for use in an emergency.

This is where we forsee Zaptag coming into play; bridging that gap. There are obviously many differences between the US and Uk systems which are very interesting to hear about; all feedback much appreciated!