I know others have had great luck with thier Moras. But I'd never trust my life to something that wasn't a full tang, and I like something with a metal pommel butt for wacking things when precision is a must and you don't want to use your hand. I'm in Vermont, so I get your weather second hand. :P

A four incher is as small as I'd go, but there are a lot of very viable and well made models with 5 to 5.5" blades. Drop points, modified drop points and clips are very good, with spear points OK; tantos and double edged blades, not so good. I suggest a good carbon steel, just becuase while there are higher chromium count alloys on the market, carbon has the best edge taking, holding and recovery properties for the price. Expect to see a price tag around $50.

Most people here know I like the MkII Utility Knife, preferably from Ka-bar, and made famous by the Marines. It IS a bit on the longer side, with a 7" blade, but I like the balance, and the leather washered handle doesn't mind really cold weather. It is a clip point blade, which some don't like, but I like the semi-sharp clip area for scraping. There is a 5.5" bladed version that you might like, although I'd suggest using a straight blade not the one with serrations. Similiar to it is Camillus' and Ontario's copies (Camillus is a little better than Ontario IMHO, the others aren't worth it), and there are similiar Beckers.

Biggest advice: if you can't pick it up and hold it in your hands, read the return policy before you reach for your wallet. I don't care godlike a knive's reputation is, I don't care how fine it's custom pedigree papers are, or how much it costs- if it doesn't feel good in your hand, it isn't worth it. You might find that a thirty dollar butcher's knife feels good in your hand, and it holds up to what you want to do, and if you are planning on having it in your pack and not on your belt, a scabbard is a couple pieces of cardboard and some duct tape. *shrugs*

Asking this question is like asking a guy "why do you love your wife" or "which one of your kids is your favorite". :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.