I don't see where on the website it says it only comes with 160 feet of cord, but you could easily supplement that. Even if you couldn't, I just did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation. Assuming your 160 feet of cord went out at a 45 degree angle, the kite will be about 113 feet above the surface. Let's say it's not that high; make it 90+ feet to equal 30 metres above the surface. How far away can it be seen by an observer on the ground? If my arithmetic is correct, it would be about 20 kilometres (12 miles). The same arithmetic shows that a 6' tall person would be able to see about 5 kilometres (3 miles) to the horizon. So the kite would increase your range by a factor of 4, which isn't bad. Even more important, the total surface area from which you could be detected would increase by a factor of 16. <br><br>(The math isn't difficult if you understand the theorem of Pythagoras for finding the lengths of the sides on a right triangle, a^2 + b^2 = h^2. One side of the triangle, a is the radius of the earth; the hypotenuse h, or long side, is the radius of the earth plus the height of the kite above the earth. The remaining side, b, is the distance from the kite to the horizon, ie. the distance from which it could be seen by an observer on the ground.)<br><br>From Paul Tawrell's "Camping and Wilderness Survival", p.91, there is a formula for doing this. Take the square root of the height above sea level in feet (it's in the section on water travel/Ocean Navigation), If the kite is 100 feet above sea level, then the square root would be 10. Multiply this by 1.15 to get the distance in miles to the horizon. So according to this formula, a kite 100 feet above sea level would be visible from 11.5 miles away. Otoh, if you were 9 feet tall, your hat would only be visible from 3.45 miles away. :-) For a 6' tall person, the horizon is 2.8 miles away. (Which is pretty close to my calculation of 5 km.) <br><br>For those who are interested, a good rule of thumb is that 100 km/hr = 60 mph, and the metre was originally defined to be 1/10,000,000 of the distance from the equator to the North Pole; Hence, the circumference of the Earth is 40,000 kilometres. <br><br>"It's not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about; it's the piece of shrapnel addressed to 'Occupant'."