I will not have the PSK without a pocket to carry it in. That pocket will most likely be on an outfit like the one I usually wear - Wool pants, nylon shirt, Wool Vest, and If the weather permits a jacket. All of the other pockets and the belt of that outfit will be carrying other neadful things. Such as: 6'X8' ripstop waterproofed nylon tarp, Nylon Poncho, Mosquito Netting, Altoids sized FAK, leatherman Wave, Leatherman Micra, SwissTool, Whistle, SwissKey, Large garden sized trash bag, MagLight FlashLight, CellPhone, Ham Radio (TriBand 2 and 6 meter and 70 cm), 2 Bandanas, 1 Hankie, Fountain Pen, Ballpoint Pen, Mechanical Pencil, Standard #2 pencil, Notepad, HandHeld computer, Baggie of GORP, Spare Batteries for all carried appliances, Roll of TP, Package of facial tissues, 200' or nylon cord (similar to the sheath of paracord without the inner strands maybe 150 - 200 lbs breaking strength) - thats without the jacket. If the weather permits or requires the jacket it will also contain a watch cap and gloves. Without the jacket I atleast have my tin cloth cruiser hat. <br><br>If I am allowed to be dressed as well as carrying the PSK then I think that my odds of surviving the 4 weeks go up dramatically. With Just the PSK, some luck and decent weather in the first week things might work out. Let's rundown how in a forest. ( my skills don't include jungle, artic or desert environments.)<br><br>Presumed: <br><br>1) I am not injured,<br>2) I am in temperate forest environ<br>3) It is somewhere between May and October - late spring to early fall<br><br>PSK contains wire saw which alone is sufficient to improvise a debris hut.<br>PSK contains snare wire.<br>PSK contains Tin Foil for improvised pot.<br>PSK contains paracord for holding things together and strapping things on<br>PSK contains a 13 gallon trashbag for carrying or waterproofing as need be.<br>PSK contains compass for orienteering around camp and towards home.<br>PSK contains fire starting materials (sparklite and tinder)<br>PSK contains tape (duct and electrical) <br>PSK contains twine <br>PSK contains sewing kit.<br>PSK contains super glue<br>PSK contains iodine tablets<br>PSK contains whistle<br>PSK contains balloon for water storage<br>this is my kit<br><br>First Day) Use wire saw as needed to construct debris hut weave the structure together w/o paracord (conserve that). Start Fire for warmth and signal. Locate water supply. Pass first night in this as well as I can. If it is not raining then don't use the trash bag from the PSK. <br><br>Second day) Set out snares, (I carry enough for two squirrel / rabbit sized snares). Layer dirt and debris onto debris hut - properly constructed this will be waterproof and insulated. Obtain water and improvise water purification through boiling in Aluminum foil. Do not let the fire die unless I must move. Start to improvise fire-carrier from charred log - this is a valid use of paracord to hang the fire carrier on a stick for walking. Watch for SAR and maintain signals - fire, smoke and if there is a sign of someone, mirror and whistle.<br><br>Third Day) If the snares produce then eat 1/2 and make jerky. Stake out the skins for later use skins might be staked out over the debris hut to add to waterproofing. If the snares don't produce then search for fishing opportunities. Start looking for advanced improvisation opportunities such as Clay for making containers for cooking and water, Vines or fibrous plants for making cordage, Birch Bark or other better waterproofing for shelter. Watch for SAR and maintain signals - fire, smoke and if there is a sign of someone, mirror and whistle.<br><br>Fourth Day through fourth week) Repeat third day improving the camp a little and start working on improvising a larger shelter that can be heated. This can be a found cave or a wigwam or other large structure that would safely contain a fire and a standing individual.<br><br>Failure points:<br>1) inadequate shelter on first night<br>2) inadequate water supply by end of second day<br>3) inadequate food by end of first week<br>4) no improvised boiling container by end of first week (when iodine runs out and foil burns through.<br>5) Extreme cold temperatures ( see failure point 1)<br>6) Extreme hot temperatures (see failure points 1 and 2)<br><br><br>I would expect that the low point would be around 72 hours. Around that time frame I should have finished establishing a camp with shelter, water, and food. From that point onwards everyday I improvise an improvement on that starting point. If the camp is good enough and the weather holds I might stay and wait. If my clothing is sufficient shelter or the camp site is bad enough (above treeline, no water, no game) I might stay put long enough to establish a fire carry and then move out. I wouldn't move at night and I wouldn't let the fire die after starting it. A decent fire carry can be improvised by burning / carving a hole into the end of a log and lining it with mostly dry moss, add to this a large chunk of ember from the last fire you built and stop frequently to maintain it. You should be able to carry the fire through the day and have a start for the evening if you need to be on the move.