I have “credentials” similar to Fitziod. Long time ham etc. However I add the experience of having been in New Orleans during Katrina and Miami right after Wilma as a Red Cross Disaster Communications operator. I second Fitziods recommendation of a simple AM/FM radio. Something that anyone can operate and has simple electronic circuits.

Believe me, trying to remember how to run a complex radio when stressed, is very frustrating. The simple electronics means much longer battery life. Get one that runs on AA batteries if possible.

You may not be the one using the radio. Even with a simple radio, include a small “cheat sheet” describing its operation for those who may be “techno-challenged”.

In New Orleans, the local Public Broadcasting System stopped their normal programming and did a combined program using many of the local radio “personalities” who knew the local area and its unique circumstances. It was a very effective communications method and everyone listened to it. The information was accurate and they had a lot of “call in” type conversations providing up to date information.

I did not listen to local radio in Miami so can not speak to that. However I did spend a lot of time in areas with no power and it seemed that everyone had a radio on the local stations. Wilma did not affect such a wide area like Katrina so there were many functioning radio stations outside the affected area that were providing programming to devastated areas.

Also these radios are cheap. There are many very good ones available for under $25.00. Get some lithium batteries and it will be ready to go for the next 10 years.

Also, interested folks should investigate getting a ham radio license. There were many repeaters (systems that greatly extend the range of walkie-talkies) operational within a few hours of Katrina. These were of great benefit to those wanting to keep in touch with other hams and as a local communications and information transfer system. For the first week, most of the public service (fire, rescue, police etc.) was transmitted over amateur radio.

It sounds odd, but the ham stuff was repaired so quickly because there are lots of hams and very few commercial repair folks. The local commercial repair people were working very hard, but they had to also take care of their families and still try to repair very complex systems with limited time, energy and parts. The ham equipment is much simpler, usually there is a large accumulated source of parts in the individual hams “junk boxes” and each repeater had a crew of hams working together to get the systems operational. I was very impressed with the actions of the ham community during Katrina.

For those trying to understand the somewhat complex world of radio, I have put together a bit which may help at my blog. Take a peek...look under the section about Understand Radio. I would appreciate comments (PM me directly please).

Nomad.