Isn't it better to pack bug lotion containing DEET such as Ultrathon® by the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company (I thought 3M was Canadian before...) because you're sure to not put it on your synthetic clothes and you shouldn't put it under your clothes anyway. Another benefit of this kind of lotion is that you can see where you put it unlike the Muskol® clear liquid lotion. And this kind of lotion slows the absorbtion of DEET in the skin. That's also probably another reason why you should apply suncreen 30 min before DEET lotion if you have to protect against both sun and bugs.

Unfortunately for me Ultrathon® isn't allowed in Canada because since 2004 the maximum DEET % allowed here is 30. But the closest product I found is Watkins 28.5 DEET lotion and apparently many foresters in Québec swear by it but to be really sure I would have to try it myself and expose myself in a mosquito and black flies infested area because as Doug points out we don't all have the same body chemistry.

François