Quote:
To quote my sister-in-law, who is an EMT-I, if you have to do a stick, you better be able to hear the sirens or see the lights, or have the [chopper] on the radio and the LZ within 10 minutes walk with a litter

Unless you can do more than JUST start an IV...

While having the ability to start an IV and administer fluids is nice, there are typically better ways to fill your pack. I do have a HUGE medical kit with IV supplies as well as other Advanced Life Support Supplies; however my BOB and backpacking medical kits don't have IV supplies in them. I add additional ALS & IV supplies to my pack as needed when my mission requires.

As for training, learning how to start an IV is easy; all the other knowledge that goes along with that skill is a different story. Taking a class to learn how to start an IV is not a trivial process, typically this means taking the classes to become a nurse or EMT Intermediate or Paramedic. Either route is at least a year long process, with RN and Paramedic being a 2-4+ year long process.

Edited by romania (04/23/06 11:28 PM)