>>Okay, here I'm showing the results of my upbringing, but what does it mean to "box" the needle?

Hmmm, can I do this without a picture...

If you can visualize a baseplate style compass, there is a rectangular base, with a "direction of travel arrow", and a rotating ring, or bezel, with 0-360 degrees marked around it. Inside the ring is the magnetic needle that points toward magnetic north, that spins around freely. Also inside the ring,on the bottom, is an outline of an arrow typically. That outline will rotate when you turn the bezel.

Ok, so let's say you're walking, and you hold the compass so that the direction of travel arrow faces in the direction you're walking. Now, you keep the baseplate facing the same way, and rotate the bezel until the magnetic needle is "boxed" inside of the outline of the arrow that rotates with the bezel. When that happens, the reading in degrees on the bezel is the direction you're heading.

You can also work it the other way. Let's say you know you need to walk East. You turn the bezel until it reads 90 degrees, or East. Then, you turn your whole compass until the needle is boxed inside the outline of the needle. Now your direction of travel arrow points East (90 degrees).

Pretty wordy, it's a lot easier to show someone than to describe it.

- Ron