One of my coworkers, who knows about my predilection for being prepared, was preparing some supplies for his house after the Katrina fiasco happened. He bounced some ideas off me.

He's storing water and was going to buy some 5- or 10-gallon drums. He and his wife have three young children. His oldest is about12, I think.

I proposed this scenario to him: There's a bad storm moving in. He's stuck in traffic. His wife is at home. She is trying to do too many things at once and is moving to quickly, and slips on the stairs. She wists her ankle or breaks it, or maybe even breaks her leg. It only takes a few seconds for all hell to break lose.

His oldest son is now the man of the house. He's in charge. Could HE lift a 5-gallon drum? When I was 12, I couldn't. I could, however, lift a 2.5-gallon container.

The point I was making was, my friend, who is big and capable, is making plans as if he is going to be there to carry them out, which he probably will be. But what if he isn't? Can his wife do these things? Can his kids?

His eyes popped wide open. I could see he had not considered this. He thanked me and went on with his day. Later on he told me he bought the smaller water containers and that his son can lift them. I suggested "Billy" test lift one full, and that his wife should, too.

Maybe some good DID come from that godawful hurricane.

-- Craig