I built my second, more hardy PSK based off of Cody's list. I have made some changes too, and I uses Craig's list to list those changes. I agree with alot of what Craig says, but here are my changes.

Mora neck knife: I agree with this. I think the Mora is a great knife, but I don’t like anything around my neck.
Freezer bags: Agreed, I have a few of these in my kits and cars.

Tincture of iodine 2%: Yeah this is a pain. I traded mine out for standard iodine pills. I have had two bottle break on me when I dropped them just getting them out of the shopping bag. I am going to stick with the pills.

Condom: No way. The amount of work it takes to fill them and then try to drink out of them is too much effort. Although, if its all you have...

Regular Space blanket: I don’t have one of these in my PSK, but I do in my camelbak.

One roll dental floss: this stuff is great, but I did take it out of the case. There are times when I wish I hadn't. Anyway, Its still great stuff.

Colored surveyor’s tape: Good stuff, I have used this for years when I have been hunting, camping or fishing.

Pea-less brightly colored plastic whistle: Fox 40 is great! Agreed.

Paraffin-coated, strike anywhere kitchen matches in brightly colored match safe: I have a lighter and a mag block, but paraffin coated matches degrade over time, so I stopped using them. I keep regular matches in the match safe, instead of paraffin coated matches.

Disposable butane lighter: Mini bics are good, but they are so small in my large mitts, so I have a large one that I de child proofed and adjusted the flame.

Magnesium-block fire starter with hacksaw blade scraper: Not impressed overall with this, but it is a source of dry tender no matter where you are. It is time consuming, and can be a pain, but it does work. The hacksaw blade makes its easier to get a large pile of shavings or dust and will make a large spark to light the pile.

6 to 8 cotton balls saturated with PJ: These are great. I use them to start fires all the time.

Credit card size magnifying lens: I have started fires with this, but it is very fragile. At my one year kit check, I found that it was cracked down the middle. After that, I keep it only to see small things like splinters in my hand.

AA Flashlight:
I have a photon as my primary but I carry this as a back up. The ability to get batteries and parts for the light at almost any gas stations makes it a clear choice. Extra batteries are key to any flashlight

Extra carbon-steel knife with sheath: I have so many knives on me and in my PSK, that I feel pretty confident that I may not need an extra knife.

Clear plastic drinking tube: This is great to have. I have been in situations, where if I was in survival mode, it would have been great.

Collapsible, 1-2 gallon water container: Great stuff as well. But I will admit, that I don’t carry it.

Two 55 gallon barrel liners: Any kind of plastic liner will allow for transpiration, you just wont be able to see it. I have a couple of them in my truck and one in my camelbak.

Heavy-duty space blanket: Don’t carry this. I have a couple of extra blankets in my trucks.

Wool or synthetic stocking cap: yep, I have a polar fleece cap in my truck or on my person. I do however prefer to have a boonie style hat when it is hot.

Cotton bandana: I love these. I also have a shmegah. I love that thing as well. I would like to get a shmegah that is fluorescent yellow or orange, but in the mean time, I would like to have a larger bandana on blaze orange.

100 feet of 550 parachute cord: Invaluable all the time. I have a huge roll of it in my garage for kits and general tie down. The only problem is that some knots will not stay tied in parachute cord.

3” x 5” glass, sightable signal mirror with duct taped foam pouch: Great piece of gear. I have had one of these for years.

Homemade first aid kit: I have a one that I have built, but most store bought kits are pretty bad. They are more akin to kits for scrapes and cuts, and less applicable to wilderness injuries. I have built my own, but admittedly, since I am a Marine, I have access to some things that other people don't to augment my kit. But, more the point, I dont like store bought kits.

Uncle Peppy’s patented power pack stack: I don’t get this. Cody says that you should not consume caffeine during a survival situation due to its affect on water consumption. So why does he recommend taking things that require more water to metabolize (sp?)?

7.5 topo map and compass: I would add a GPS as well, as a back up.

Two candy or snack bars: I carry more than this

Duct Tape: I have so much of this, I could build a shelter out of the stuff.

Sawer Extractor Kit: I have no opinion on this, but from what I have read, they work pretty well. But then again, I have read an equal number of posts that say the opposite.

Nalgine bottle wrapped in duct tape: I am huge Nalgene fan. I agree with the camelbak, as I have three of these, but filling them in the field is difficult unless you have some falling or moving water. I like the Nalgene, or Nalgene knock offs, because of the wide mouth, Making them easy to fill. The fact that they have the industry standard for water purification systems is another plus as well. I have modified mine as Cody says, making a loop in some 550 cord and taping them with duct tape. I do carry a camelback whenever I am out on the field, but I have some sort of wide mouth bottle close by at all times as well. That ensures I have at least a gallon of water with me at all times. It is awkward at times, but when I am thirsty or hot, I am glad I have so much water.

What have I added?
More pencils and paper for notes or tender.

I also have a couple of small screwdrivers in my camelback to fix photons, gps, etc. These are in addition to those on my Swisstool. And you never know what you ar going to find in the wild.

I have a sharpening kits in my bag as well.

I always carry a few chemlites as well. They do help save on batteries and can be used to signal helicopters or, if you have to, mark a landing zone.

Sunglasses are key for me. I have had eye surgery and my eyes are very light sensitive, so I need sunglasses. I have a few paris stashed all over the place so I am rarely without them.

Wire is a good thing to have as well, it can be used to make repairs on items like boots or gear where a stronger seam is required.

Curved needles, like those in suture kits, are good to have as well for making repairs, or to stitch up deep cuts. I dont know if I could do this to myself or not, but having the ability to do it makes me feel better at least.

Well that’s about it for now. I have to get some yard work done today. This is a great thread!

Garrett