Nice review Craig and I agree with many of your assessments. Here are some of my preferences to add.

Prying: For a full and medium size PSK or BOB, I prefer a Leatherman Wave for small prying duties (which can be handled with one of the screwdriver blades). For working with wood, preping for fire and making quarters, I have a small hatchet; perfect for prying wood, splitting, using as a hammer to drive in stakes, and of course cutting and chopping.

Always carry a sharpening device.... I'm old school, still prefer an aluminum oxide disc stone for knives and hatchet. It's very quick to get a sharp blade. If you want a honed blade, let one side of the stone get clogged up with shavings by not wetting the stone, or add a diamond sharpener card.

Agree, who needs matches when you have flint and steel. Yes, those magnesium blocks are a pain, a lot pf prep for a little flash. I would prepare a few added Coghlan’s emergency Tinder by rolling them in magnesium chips (yes, you've converted me) for harsh weather fire starter.

Add Kevlar thread....you can get it on ebay in various sizes and lengths. It's much stronger and tougher than dental floss and you won't have to mess with pulling apart your para cord.

An additional knife? I you are going to carry a sheath knife, try a Glock field knife... OK, I hear many of you moan, "it won't keep an edge". Well they're made to be tough, and not brittle. Chop, split wood, pry, it's a durable blade (that will probably bend before it breaks). Plus you can order a Glock field knife with "root saw " spine. They are a tough, proven military field knife and inexpensive. less tahn $40. My Dad's WWII USM8 field knife is the same design and similar steel.... I abused it as a kid for years and somehow it held up fine.