I know many people here have read “98.6” and built their survival kits off of its suggested list. I’m no expert but I have played with these things for several years now. I thought it would be fun to look at the items and see if we agree with them after having done our own testing with these items. Let me start by saying that Cody’s list is great and each item will serve you well. The question is what have you decided you did not really like or need to carry and what have you found that works even better?

Mora neck knife:
I’m not about to have anything around my neck if I don’t have to. My son was taking ASU REC340 Wilderness Survival and was trying to pry out some fat wood from a stump and broke the tip off his Mora. I have always felt unconfident on the thin tang and hollow wood or solid plastic handle. It cuts great, easy to sharpen and you can make sparks from a carbon steel version. I dumped it for an indestructible Cold Steel True Flight Thrower.

Freezer bags:
Good stuff

Tincture of iodine 2%:
Not happening! I have the MP1 tablets in my PSK and Polar Pur in my car PSK

Condom:
Not happening! They can not be filled by mortal man.

Regular Space blanket:
OK, but replaced by AMK heat sheet.

One roll dental floss:
Great stuff, but there is no reason to take the roll out of the container.

Colored surveyor’s tape:
Great Stuff!

Pea-less brightly colored plastic whistle:
Fox 40 is great!

Paraffin-coated, strike anywhere kitchen matches in brightly colored match safe:
I don’t need no stinking matches! If I have a mini Bic, a big ferro rod and treated cotton tinder why would I want to mess with frail matches?

Disposable butane lighter:
Mini Bic is great! Also have a flame modified lighter in my PSK and an extra mini Bic.

Magnesium-block fire starter with hacksaw blade scraper:
Hate it! The magnesium flakes are hard to scrape off, they go all over the place, the wind blows them around, it dulls your knife, and you just get a 2 second flash! I have a County Comm Metal Match, MagFire Pro, and pulled Strike Force ferro rod. Keep the “Pink Floyd majesty!”

6 to 8 cotton balls saturated with PJ:
Keep the slime balls! I’ll take my (15 each) two baggies of Coghlan’s emergency Tinder.

Credit card size magnifying lens:
Good stuff! Just don’t try to actually start a fire with one.

AA Flashlight:
The AA Maglight was the standard utility light for a long time. Photon covert, CMG Infinity Ultra, SureFire C2, and Petzl Tikka XP

Extra batteries:
Roger!

Extra carbon-steel knife with sheath:
Maybe, but if you have extra ferro rods why worry about carbon steel for sparks? I do have a Carbon V steel knife but I don’t plan to try to get sparks off of it. You can’t beat the utility of a Leatherman Wave or Charge Ti and a good fixed blade knife. A separate folding saw is light and a great tool!

Clear plastic drinking tube:
OK

Collapsible, 1-2 gallon water container:
Good stuff!

Two 55 gallon barrel liners:
Why not use clear bags that can be used for transpiration?

Heavy-duty space blanket:
I’ve tried the HD Space Blanket and the one with a hood. They are good for reflecting heat but not mush protection if you get stuck out in a cold rain. The Coghlan’s Survival Bag can be modified to be a water and wind proof mini-tent that can be set up in a few minutes. It can also provide immediate shelter if you step into it, sit down, and pull the top abound your head.

Wool or synthetic stocking cap:
Roger!

Cotton bandana:
Roger!

100 feet of 550 parachute cord:
Yes it is wonderful stuff and I have taken it apart and played with it. I don’t like it! I would rather have normal braided nylon cord in the size of parachute cord. I also have thin cord that is also braided nylon. For small stuff I have dental floss. Why would I want to “stress” over cutting my parachute cord and wondering if I am going to need an inner strand longer than I just cut the cord. Just carry the three different sizes. Also the cord needs to be wrapped around something or you will have a big tangled mess when you try to use it.

3” x 5” glass, sightable signal mirror with duct taped foam pouch:
I have one and it works better than anything else out there. But, if you plan to signal aircraft you will have about 30 second to deploy your signal mirror and flash the plane. That means you need to keep the mirror on you at all times. The 3”x5” is too heavy to wear around your neck! The 2”x3” glass signal mirror is a comfortable size to wear for extended periods. The plastic mirrors do NOT reflect anywhere near as much light as glass. The duct taped pouch does a wonderful job of protecting the glass. It is very thick tough glass. It is not some frail thing that can break easily! The Ritter PSP mirror works as good as the glass mirror of the same size. The StarFlash plastic mirror dose not work very well! It does not reflect nearly as much light as a glass mirror and the fireball aimer is too bright and make it very hard to see past to see the target and aim. But hey; it floats and it is unbreakable!

Homemade first aid kit:
Maybe! Yes you can see in, but a Ziploc bag is a wimpy container for frequent use. I prefer a store bought first-aid kit that I can add to.

Uncle Peppy’s patented power pack stack:
Ingredients taken off the market.

7.5 topo map and compass:
Roger!

Two candy or snack bars:
Roger!

Duct Tape:
Don’t leave home without it!

Sawer Extractor Kit:
I have one but no longer keep it in my PSK. All the survival and outdoor classes I have taken suggest NOT using any extraction device if bitten or stung

Nalgine bottle wrapped in duct tape:
OK, but a Camelbak is better for staying hydrated and everyone I know that has one tends to just keep it on when they are outdoors. They are very comfortable and you tend to forget you have it on. A heavy fanny pack is uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. A Camelbak is a much better way to carry your PSK.

What is missing?
An extra knife!
Large clear plastic bags for transpiration, to get water.
A knife sharpener, a credit size diamond plate or X style ceramic sharpener
A $.99 poncho (you can use the trash bag but then you can‘t use it for other things)
36” x 36” sheet of aluminum foil or some container to boil water
A small saw can be a wonderful thing
Leather work gloves (keep your hands warm and protected)
Some fatwood could really help
A small pair of binoculars could also really help