This morning (Friday March 23) I heard an interesting story regarding a long-forgotten cache of Emergency supplies hidden somewhere inside New York City's Brooklyn Bridge. The story aired on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" news program.

Some engineers came accros the cache which dates from the Cold War while doing an inspection of the bridge. The supplies were labelled with the date "October 1962" -- the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The cache included food, medical supplies and blankets. The food consisted of boxes of "survival crackers", which according to the reporter -- tasted like chaulk.

I am sure the audio clip of this story will be appear within a few days on National Public Radio's website under the archived broadcasts of "Morning Edition".

In a similar vein, a few years back I remember a TV news story about a building superintendent in the Bronx who found a cache of Cold War supplies. He mentioned that every morning -- for years -- he would eat a survival cracker by dunking it into his coffee.