Good idea - and if your doctor says no, he's an idiot - you should change anyway.

One other thing, you should contact your company's HR person and discuss with them the insurance factor. I gotta think that a large insurer wouldn't mind coughing up an extra month's worth of meds for emergencies if you request it nicely and state that you live in a dangerzone (don't we all for one thing or another?). I know that if your insurance has a mail-order meds program, many of them typically allow orders for 3-6 months at a time for common meds like birth control, statins, and many other chronic conditions.

And as for insulin - my grandmother kept a large enough supply on hand, so I know you can get a few vials. As for refigeration - there are such things as evaporative refrigerators made from water, two pots and some sand. non-electrical refrigeration

Insulin will keep as long as a month if it's not too hot (like below 85 deg.), so digging a hole 3 feet in the ground and covering a container with said insulin inside should keep it from going bad in a pinch...