If you add some figs or dates and some Sesame Seeds to that peanut butter concoction, you have what's known as biffy bar. Very tasty indeed, and still high in energy and nutrition. For those who can't stomach plain Pemmican, this is a good alternative, though not nearly as substantial.

This brings up a good idea. Pemmican doesn't have to be just dried meat and suet (or Tallow). You can add all sorts of things to it, like dehydrated berries or veggies, nuts, whole grains, and even seasonings to give it some character. In fact, most of the indian Pemmican I've eaten contains dried berries and usually sunflower seeds.

One of the most exotic Pemmicans I've had contained Grape Nuts cereal, powdered pork rinds, and whey powder. It was so good I nearly ate a cupful, but it was so rich I almost made myself sick doing it. Once you start thinking outside the box, you can come up with some truly palatable recipes.

You gotta remember, there were literally thousands of people living off of Pemmican for hundreds of years in our past. If it weren't possible to make it taste reasonably good, I doubt it would've been as popular. Some folks even preferred a good Pemmican ball to fresh roasted game.

Of course, a good portion of that has to do with mindset too. for instance, there's folks up north that will chew whale blubber, and think Castor oil is candy, and many traditional Japanese eat foo-goo for breakfast, which is well beyond my consumption capabilities any time of the day. But then I could never get the big grub down during SERE training either.