Twenty years or so ago, when my outdoor pursuits were controlled more by testosterone than gray matter, I too had an interesting experience.<br><br>My younger brother and I had gained permission to hunt a friends property in southern Ohio. Two hundred wooded acres backed up to several thousand more of state forest land. Not exactly the last wilderness frontier, but plenty of room to get turned around. Not much chance of becoming self extractably lost since walking in a straight line for several miles in any direction would bring one to a frequently traveled road.<br><br>After several hours of being engrossed in tracking, stalking, etc., it became suddenly apparent I had no idea were the hell I was.<br><br>Good time for lunch and a nap thought I.<br><br>After lunch the assesment began. Visually nothing looked familiar. Marking my back trail well, a short climb to a nearby hilltop brought some familiar sights to veiw. With confidence returning a course was chosen. Ten minutes of walking brought me to a stream crossing that looked vaguely familiar. Foot prints in the mud indicated the recent passing of a heavy individual. Closer inspection revealed the prints to be my own! <br><br>The realization of my actual location was instant, and I was walking in the opposite direction I needed to be.<br><br>Lessons learned-<br><br>(1) you really do walk in circles when lost<br><br>(2) Having a compass along and having taken a reading on my back trail first thing in the morning would have saved a lot of shoe leather.<br><br>(3) a map of the area would have been VERY handy<br><br>Mistakes happen, hopefully we learn in the process and remain unscathed.