Just a perspective from me here in South East Asia, Singapore. We have had SARS and now avian Infulenza is looming in neighbouring Indonesia. When Indonesia (who usually deny that there is anything wrong with the country) states that they have a problem with containing the avian influenza, we best all sit up and listen.

It can be highly contagious (even more so than SARS) and most governments in this region including the Australian govenrment have been stockpiling Tamiflu and more recently Relenza. Both are neuraminidase inhibitors and short circuit the viral replication process. It's not like they are THE CURE or anything, its just that it's them or nothing! Influenza has become mostly resistant to Amantadine (the previous antiviral) and in time will also become resistant to these two drugs.

Bottom line, most adults with a healthy immune system will probably be OK, it's the elderly, children and people with chronic medical conditions like heart ailments, asthma or other pulmonary conditions who will probably be worse off.

There is no need for the man in the street to panic or stockpile medication. You can't tell if you do have the flu for sure and the window period to treat the flu with these medications is about 48h. Beyond that, the drugs are useless.

SO:
1. Get your flu shots
2. Proper sleep and well balanced diet (no, not Domino's)
3. Exercise helps your immunity

If the flu does hit and an epidemic does occur:
1. Quarantine enforced or otherwise is the way to go. No use yelling about rights and civil liberties. It is the only way to contain the virus. Here in Singapore during SARS, we were [censored] about the 'police state' and 'big brother' enforcing the home quarantine, but in hindsight these tough measures saved many more lives.

2. Antivirals can help - as to how much, leave it to your doc. No use stockpiling. you wouldn't know when to use it.

3. Personal Protective equipment - probably more for front line medical staff like me, paramedicpete etc. N95/N99 maks, goggles, gown, gloves etc

4. Personal hygiene

5. Oh and did I mention....get your flu shot.

HTH