I have a couple of walking sticks (as opposed to hiking staffs), one with a large, solid, very heavy brass knob. Many years ago, I even inlet a tiny rounded gem into the side to orient the wood grain by feel.<br><br>Unfortunately, I just feel too silly carrying one. Far from having a limp, I tend to bound up stairs and such, so it's pretty suspicious.. and without a limp, it's either a weapon or you're a Tom Wolfe wannabee. Since I don't dress for the latter role, and faking a limp is very tiring, that narrows it down pretty quickly... these days, they just sit in an umbrella stand by the front door.<br><br>When they were available, I even bought one of those collapsible umbrellas with what amounts to a foot-long ice pick in the shaft. I never carried it, and finally discarded it. The quality of the umbrella was very poor, the blade was difficult to draw quickly, and despite possible deterrent value, I had doubts about any real stopping power... and it would be just too difficult to justify. So many such things, in the final analysis, are mostly novelties.<br>