Maybe I did not flesh this out enough to let every one know what I was talking about. The people of south Louisiana have traveled north to escape the storm to places that have all the amenities we are use to in modern America but with their bank destroyed they still can’t do any banking because all their records and banks computers are gone. Its not a matter of not being able to bank because of a power outage its that the bank and all its branches are gone. Yea cash is king and always will be but there are bills to be paid checks to be written life must go on and that is greatly simplified by having more than one account that is physically separated from each other by a substantial distance.
To show you another example of computers being lost during the storm it is my understanding that there are new cars being driven all around the country right now with New Orleans dealers tags on them that still come up clean when you run the VIN on them because there is no one to report them and no computer to log them its all just gone. If Uncle Sugar can’t keep track of stolen cars right now we can hardly expect anyone to worry about your lost bank records or your needing to cash a check or do some banking.