This is what I found this summer in Iraq:

No more than about one quart of Gatorade a day, or you will bloat and feel like crap.

Even bottled water here smells and tastes bad. Individual serving crystal light packets or generic brand subsitutues (Wal Mart) make the water pallatable enough to consume the proper amount of water.

Drink up to 2 gallons of water daily during peak heat/activity days. more than 2 gallons and you start to feel sick, regardless of how much sodium, potassium, glucose, fructose or any other "electolyte" you consume. Puking up water will dehydrate you very quickly (you sweat a lot more when you are nauseated).

These are standards, there are those who tolerated more or less extremes than most, but they are exceptions. I didn't pay so much attention to the color of my urine as I did to how my body felt, how my mind was functioning. If I felt like I needed more liquid, I got something to drink. If I was sweating hard, I drank more.

When I got food poisoning and ended up in the hospital here, I had to have 3 quarts of liquid pumped into my arm before my body started to normalize. I know what dehydration feels like, and I was drinking water at the time of my collapse. An IV is much quicker, albeit much more complicated way to rehydrate.

Ringers Lactate is an excellent rehydration liquid. Pedialyte is the next best thing that I've found.