Quote:
So there, if you want to store meat for survival, do what the indians did. Either pack it in tallow, or turn it into pemmican. Forget the nutritional fo-pahs about consuming too much salt or fat, in a survival mode, you're likely to need more of both anyways, assuming you have a fresh water source to work with.

That's a pretty big assumption. In an urban or suburban environment like mine, food will be far more common than (uncontaminated) water in a major disaster. In a non-major disaster, you won't have to worry about food or water once you're past the response time of the local authorities.

In most of the scenarios that I've thought through, water will be the greater challenge. Plus, water is critical. You can go without food for quite a while, but dehydration kills much faster.

If you have a decent, reliable, continuous supply of fresh water, if you can count on it being uncontaminated in a survival situation (ie when everyone else affected starts using the water as well, not all intelligently), then sure. For me, and I suspect most of us here, water is the bigger issue.

Your body uses water to digest food. Metabolizing protein takes water, too. Salt dehydrates. For my part, I'd rather just keep more water in my kit. If it's a home kit, then sure, but then I'd use prepackaged foods that have a water content of their own. I like jerky, and I eat it on the trail, but it's not what I'd call a survival food.