"Theso-called terrorists have not and will not succeed in destabilizing our country directly, but I am beginning to fear that they will force a crisis in our national character with as yet unforseeable consequences."

So-called ?

They are terrorists. I'm not sure what else you would call them. I mean, they are not freedom fighters, guerillas, patriots, the underground, the resistance, the Black Panthers, the AARP, or the Girl Scouts. They won't force a crisis in our national character either--they are going to lose and lose bad.

"Lets face it, most American fail pretty dismally in the true individualist department."

I think you better define what you mean by "most American" (sic). There are some pretty rugged people out west here who do not look to the government to solve all their problems. In fact, all some of us ask is to be left alone. Not everybody lives in an urban area. I feel for the people of New York City. Not only do they have random searches, but they also have to face this war every day in a way that I do not (yet) have to.

It is up the the people of NYC to decide if they need random searches or not. It is they who are facing the greatest threat. Not the Senate, the President, SCOTUS, or the ACLU. The people of NYC will find a balance between security and liberty. It may not be what I would choose as a non-New Yorker, but it will be a New York solution. Who am I to argue with that?

Regards, Vince