Since coming to Baghdad, I have built up a few different survival kits to keep with me at various times, as well as finding out what to do if the bubble pops. Naturally, wherever I go I find out where the nearest bunker is. That is an imperative, but you would be surprised how many people walk around without a clue where the nearest shelter is when the metal starts to rain down. I also learn which routes are the most protected so that I do not take unnecessary risks. I have two SRKs, but I've also made a couple of decent impalers out of 4 and 5 foot shovel handles.

As far as BOB and PSK goes, I carry everything I think might improve my chances. I have flashlights, knives, firestarters, pocket shelters, tape, nails, screws, water, more water, a little food, medications, first aid supplies, and an extra change of clothes in my BOB (oh yeah, a few hundred American dollars just in case). Similar but downsized in my shoulderbag, and various absolute essentials in my pockets. I also have special stashes at all the places I frequent, and have made mental notes about things that I might want to get my hands on if something bad starts here (like where a spare AK-47 might be located, where a good little hidey hole is that I might evade the enemy) I've also made some friends here that I think I can trust to a certain degree, and I've been generous with my gift giving to the local police and private security personnel. An Ex-pat simply cannot bug out of Baghdad on foot, there is 0 chance you will make it to any secure location if things go wrong here. The best you can hope for is to elude the insurgents and find a stronghold until the Apaches and the Abrams show up to sweep out the badguys.

The two weather issues to contend with here are heat and dust. I have a couple disposable face masks and one very good gas mask with a sealed combo cannister as part of my ppe gear. Dealing with the heat is a daily survival issue, so it is only a matter of finding water.

Were I somewhere else more hospitable in the world, I would likely be keeping the same BOB and shoulderbag set up as now. I might accouterize for a wetter or colder climate, but much of what I carry is more designed to survive terrorist activity. One thing that will always be a part of my survival kits is my new mindset. Always look for an out, be aware of where the threat is most likely to come from, recognize and avoid unnecessary risks. Become as transparent and inconspicuous as possible. I have passed through restricted gates flashing the wrong badge a number of times here just because I had the right body language and blended in with the crowd. That is hard to do when you're as big and white as I am. I've been here 5 months, and I have people who've been here two years asking me questions about what to do.