I like to tie knots. I guess this really shows, if you look at my long list of favorites below! Astericks indicate my "go to" knots for the most part. Not necessarily the "best" (there is no such thing), but the ones I use most often. Coincidently, those asterick knots add up to ten, so I did end up addressing the OP's question (by accident though!)

(1) Bends - for tying two ropes together: the *Zeppelin Bend or it's close relative the Hunter's Bend (a.k.a. Rigger's Bend) Other favorites are the Shake Hands (less well known) and the Butterfly Bend. Double Fisherman's is good too.

(2) End Loops: *Angler's Loop (a.k.a Perfection Loop), Butterfly Loop, Double Dragon, Eskimo Bowline, ABOK #1045 (unnamed, described as "Another Compact Loop" by Ashley)

(3) Middle Loops: *Alpine Butterfly

(4) Double Loops: *ABOK #1100 (unnamed AFAIK, but I call it "Double Butterfly Loop")

(5) Sliding Loops and Nooses: *Exploding Sliding Sheet Bend, Adjustable Grip Loop, Scafford Knot

(6) Hitches - for tying rope to a post: *Buntline Hitch, *Round Turn And Two Half Hitches, Ground Line Hitch (rope-to-rope knot actually)

(7) Bindings - for holding things together: *Slipped Constrictor, Boa Knot, Pole Lashing

(8) Stoppers - for keeping a rope from sliding out of a hole: *Ashley's Stopper

(9) Misc: *Marlinspike Hitch