Ken

I think our suggestions may depend on the purpose for which you seeking the information. For instance, if you are a father whose son is about to join a Boy Scout troop or even one who is still looking for the right troop, then the questions might be most usefully and informatively put to the leaders of the troop(s) as to what gear your son would need. You should probably attend several meetings/functions of the troop to see how well it meets your expectations.

Any prohibition on butane lighters would appear to be a local one, probably restricted to that individual troop. You should consider all rules as to gear for scouts since they may manifest the outlook, as well as the probable behavior and kinds of outings pursued by the troop. Fortunately the restriction seems not to have reached my politically correct part of the country yet. And I will do my best to make sure that it not afflict my troop.

If you are already a scout leader who is trying to develop a checklist for the troop, then you should be guided by the principles and information on this website (ETS). The BSA list of 10 essentials is a good start towards a plan for carrying important gear, but only a start. Don't forget that regardless of how good your list is, you still need to make sure that the boys have the gear, actually carry it, and know now to use it. They also need to have earned their Totin Chip and Fireman's Chit to qualify to carry a knife and fire starting equipment.

Let us know more of what you have in mind.

Hopefully we'll hear more from some of the other scouters as well.

John