Well, there's the challenge. I live far away. I have a lot of obligations where I live, for my family, my community. I can't live where my parents live...here's my life lately.

Camera goes wavy...flashback montage to early 2022...phone call in the dark...dad gravely ill...driving a dark interstate in the middle of the night....dad's in an ambulance...at hospital...moved to bigger hospital...massive surgery underway...mom's prior strokes make it impossible for her to manage house...so much drama and tears...day...night...day...night...but wait! remarkable recovery...but there will be challenges at home...etc etc etc etc...

During all this:

After 114 (yes, one-hundred-fourteen) phone calls, I found three qualified home care agencies, did a LOT of background checks and referral checks on the company, the management, the health care aides, etc. A LOT of checking.

When dad came home from hospital, I stayed with them at the house for a while, worked to establish the cadence of what the in-home aide did for their 8 hours a day until things were there all flowing well...and went home.

THREE DAYS LATER - I'm working home at my desk...my phone rings.

"We sent the aide home."

"WHAT???!!! Was there a problem? What happened??"

"We just don't want anyone in our house. We don't like it."

"BUT...BUT...they are there to help out with chores and stuff...and driving...and if you fall..."

"We're not having anyone in this house who we don't want here. That's final."

Fortunately, I keep instant ice-packs in my first aid kits, so the bruises on my forehead weren't too bad, but my desk sustained some damage.

Edited by MartinFocazio (09/19/22 04:11 PM)